Ive seriously underestimated my tax 2023

Headers

#1 Post by Headers »

I moved this from a post referencing 2022.
Ive just looked at our tax situation for 2023. Due to me receiving my state pension, the improved interest rate on savings, the improvement in the exchange rate and the works pension increase we received, our income has gone up more than I had anticipated.
I usually offset any excess with an aide à domicile gardening job but due to bad weather it hasn’t been done.
So my prélèvement à la source is well under what I need to pay them.
I have two things to do on the impôts site - change my situation for 2024 and work out how to pay them the extra.
Estimating 2024 is tricky because of the exchange rate variation and interest changes.
I’ve done the adjustment and the figure seems overly high but I will change it part way through the year if required.
I tried to make a payment for the prélèvement à la source but it came up with an error so I’ve messaged the service for help.

elsie

#2 Post by elsie »

Contacting the tax office to admit a possible error should smooth any future queries.

If you can't make the adjustment, just put you calculated monthly extra tax into a savings pot so it isn't a shock when you do have to pay up. You might even have a bonus if you've overestimated!

Headers

#3 Post by Headers »

elsie wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:16 am Contacting the tax office to admit a possible error should smooth any future queries.

If you can't make the adjustment, just put you calculated monthly extra tax into a savings pot so it isn't a shock when you do have to pay up. You might even have a bonus if you've overestimated!
Thankyou for taking the trouble to answer. I surely can’t be the only person in these circumstances?
I have contacted the tax office. They didn’t understand the point I was making at all. They acknowledged that I have increased our estimated earnings for 2024 so that’s something. I’ve now managed to make a one off payment for the year 01/2023 so I’ll soon know if I’ve done it correctly or not!

suein56

#4 Post by suein56 »

Headers wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:38 pm I have contacted the tax office. They didn’t understand the point I was making at all.
Our income often varies a lot so our 'prélèvement à la source' figure is often too low. The Impôts aren't bothered as, at the end of the year, they will send me a bill for the shortfall and then adjust the prélèvement themselves to reflect a new amount.
You can always amend the prélèvement yourself if you are really concerned.
As Elsie says .. if you worried then put the money aside so you have it when/if a bill arrives after you receive your avis d'impôt in August.

tagh

#5 Post by tagh »

I always have to pay extra at the end of the year even this year when the fisc repaid me a considerable sum (well, for me anyway) after I discovered that they had been charging me full whack social charges on on my UK State pensions. To be fair, they acknowledged the problem and repaid three year’s worth of overpayment. Which, it transpired had happened when I went electronic.
They are pretty reasonable here in the P de C.
So, it is always worth checking again and again.

Headers

#6 Post by Headers »

Ive just checked my declaration input on the govt site and they have taken into account my emergency additional payment that I made so that’s good, but my head is spinning so I’ve had a first go and depending on which boxes I tick, the figure varies by up to 500 euros of tax payable. So I’m stepping away for a while. I’ll have another look probably in a couple of days but I want to get it put to bed before the 30th because Orange are coming to cut us over to fibre so I don’t want to risk no phone line!

L Austin France

#7 Post by L Austin France »

Headers wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:18 pm I moved this from a post referencing 2022.
Ive just looked at our tax situation for 2023. Due to me receiving my state pension, the improved interest rate on savings, the improvement in the exchange rate and the works pension increase we received, our income has gone up more than I had anticipated.
I usually offset any excess with an aide à domicile gardening job but due to bad weather it hasn’t been done.
So my prélèvement à la source is well under what I need to pay them.
I have two things to do on the impôts site - change my situation for 2024 and work out how to pay them the extra.
Estimating 2024 is tricky because of the exchange rate variation and interest changes.
I’ve done the adjustment and the figure seems overly high but I will change it part way through the year if required.
I tried to make a payment for the prélèvement à la source but it came up with an error so I’ve messaged the service for help.
I rather suspect we'll be in the same situation re income but, as my old mum used to say, "if you don't earn it you don't pay it". :lol:

Hotrodder

#8 Post by Hotrodder »

I'm totally befuddled reading the posts above. People on state pensions paying tax and social contributions? I never have. I thought there was some sort of double taxation agreement between the two countries. If monsieur taxe man comes a knockin' wanting back taxes he'll have to take it in blood.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

elsie

#9 Post by elsie »

Putting it simply, the double taxation agreement pensions is only for some pensions from employment by the government, local authorities, police, fire service and some NHS occupations.

UK state (OAP) and private pensions have to be declared in France and are subject to the relevant tax scales. Private pensions from the UK should be paid without UK income tax deducted if the correct UK form stating you are subject to French tax has been completed and then declared in France.

Headers

#10 Post by Headers »

2023 was the first full year of my state pension. I also have a company pension. It therefore bumped up our income enough to increase our tax burden. I also failed to spend any money on tax deductible services for gardening due to the inclement weather which would have reduced my tax bill. I only realised how much I had underpaid by the prélèvement route in Jan 2024 so I banged in some extra payments via the one off payment route.