Avis d'imposition 2021

Spardo

Re: Avis d'imposition 2021

#11 Post by Spardo »

Speaking as a non paying French tax payer (not rich enough to 'qualify' for impots), but if I was I would not allow the government, or anyone else (apart from Orange) to fiddle inside my bank account. Is it really impossible for all you people rich enough to pay tax, to save up and pay it in one lump when required?

That is what I do with everything else, Fonciere, electricity, insurances, everything. As soon as they come in, I don't even wait for due dates. Despite our obviously comparative low income we don't feel hard up.

Is it really so hard to avoid prelevements?

Doug

#12 Post by Doug »

Spardo wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:34 am Is it really so hard to avoid prelevements?
Like you we are poor pensioners and dont pay impots.
The only prelevements paid are our mutuality health top up.

Spardo

#13 Post by Spardo »

Doug wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:46 am
Spardo wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:34 am Is it really so hard to avoid prelevements?
Like you we are poor pensioners and dont pay impots.
The only prelevements paid are our mutuality health top up.
Perhaps we have one 'advantage' over you then Doug, Fran is 100%, so only one mutuelle required. :)

exile

#14 Post by exile »

Spardo wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:34 am Speaking as a non paying French tax payer (not rich enough to 'qualify' for impots), but if I was I would not allow the government, or anyone else (apart from Orange) to fiddle inside my bank account. Is it really impossible for all you people rich enough to pay tax, to save up and pay it in one lump when required?

That is what I do with everything else, Fonciere, electricity, insurances, everything. As soon as they come in, I don't even wait for due dates. Despite our obviously comparative low income we don't feel hard up.

Is it really so hard to avoid prelevements?

I had no choice. They are gradually ensuring that the tax income is levelled out through the year.

Workers now get deductions monthly
Then those non workers (better off pensioners and the very rich I guess) with high incomes were required to pay monthly.
Then each year they have dropped the point at which you are required to pay monthly. I cannot remember whether the limit was based on income or the annual tax paid; but either way more and more people each year have no choice and have to pay by prelevement.

Spardo

#15 Post by Spardo »

exile wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:05 pm

I had no choice. They are gradually ensuring that the tax income is levelled out through the year.

Workers now get deductions monthly
Then those non workers (better off pensioners and the very rich I guess) with high incomes were required to pay monthly.
Then each year they have dropped the point at which you are required to pay monthly. I cannot remember whether the limit was based on income or the annual tax paid; but either way more and more people each year have no choice and have to pay by prelevement.
I had no idea that it was dictated by the state. How unfair to make people so dependent and unsure of what was going out of their bank accounts. So workers now have PAYE in France do they? At least, as in England, you know that it is coming out of your immediate income and not as a nasty surprise one day when you try to take some money out of your bank.

My apologies to those of you who may have been offended by my apparent inference of inability to money manage. :oops: :)

Chappers51

#16 Post by Chappers51 »

I prefer to use prélèvements so I can then plan any savings, or additional spending for work on the house that I choose to make. I’ve used this method of making payments virtually all my working life and it suits me.

elsie

#17 Post by elsie »

The intention of the tax reforms a couple of years ago and prélèvements was to collect as much tax as possible in the year it was due rather than over nine months after the end of the year once imcome declarations had been submitted.

For most French on salaries and simple investments all their tax is now collected during the tax year, in a similar way to UK PAYE, from their salaries, not by bank prélèvement.

It has even got to the point where, for many French, their income declaration form is already completed pre-filled in as the tax office already know all their income so all they need to do is to sign it (and I think from next year even that will not be necessary if there are no changes).

If the French tax office could find a way for our UK (and other foreign) pension providers to deduct the tax at the time of pension payment, I'm sure they would do so.

With mostly only foreign-derived income, foreign pensioners are a minority in paying tax by prélèvements. I am, in some ways, surprised the French tax office haven't adjusted the prélèvements calculations so there is an over-payment in the year with the over-payment refunded (over six months after the end of the tax year). Or perhaps they will keep us more on our toes by inducing us to adjust our prélèvements during the tax year to more nearly meet the final likely tax and charge interest/fine for late payment. There is already similar legislation in place https://tinyurl.com/yeb3e3ar