3rd covid vax.

🩺 Post Questions & Find Info On: Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals, Health Insurance, Social Security, Care for the Elderly, etc.
Doug

3rd covid vax.

#1 Post by Doug »

Just announced, people over 65 will be able to get a third covid vax soon.
From September, starting with over 80s.
From october the over 65s can, each to be six months after their second.
All those at high risk as well.

Oldblueraincoat

Re: 3rd covid vax.

#2 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

If you have received a vaccine of one kind is it necessary to have the booster (3rd vax) of the same kind and if not is it as effective as if all three are the same? Asking for a friend ;)

Pathca

#3 Post by Pathca »

I think it’s hard to say,some schools of thought say mixing is good ,no one really knows anything definitive yet. seeing as we haven’t had the vaccine a year .Work have sent a survey round saying they are intending to do flu shots from September,if the go ahead is given for booster Covid vaccines in the uk would we be happy to have them at the same time( if that is also approved )I have said yes as I would rather feel off colour once than twice

Wilbro

#4 Post by Wilbro »

[mention]Pathca[/mention]

Flu and booster jabs at the same time? When we had the first it had to be at least 2 weeks after a flu jab. Has it changed?

Pathca

#5 Post by Pathca »

They are yet to decide,I do say “if that is also approved “

niemeyjt

#6 Post by niemeyjt »

Yes - I had heard they were examining one in each arm at same time.

However, I have also heard that for various reasons the flu jab may be less effective this year as less correctly formulated.

Pathca

#7 Post by Pathca »

I am talking UK don’t forget

exile

#8 Post by exile »

niemeyjt wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:26 am Yes - I had heard they were examining one in each arm at same time.

However, I have also heard that for various reasons the flu jab may be less effective this year as less correctly formulated.
The severely reduced travel meant that flu had largely developed in local areas and had had only limited opportunities to spread. It was therefore difficult to identify which strains would become dominant when the decision was made on which strains to cultivate as the vaccine bases at the end of last winter. AS travel has started to open up it is only now that we will begin to see which strains become dominant. Of course flu is one of those viruses that definitely enjoys the cooler weather so we won't know until November if the strains chosen were a good or bad shout. The real impacts will be post Christmas/New Year.

Pathca

#9 Post by Pathca »

One of the answers being keep social distancing,wear masks,hand hygiene etc

Blaze

#10 Post by Blaze »

Pathca wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:55 am One of the answers being keep social distancing,wear masks,hand hygiene etc
Agreed, Pathca. I think we"ll be doing that for quite some time yet .... But it's difficult for those trying to second-guess which strain of flu virus to vaccinate against. I'm pleased to see the supermarket cashiers better protected, not just for Covid, but for the coughs and sneezes they have to put up with from uncaring customers. I've heard that the screens may stay.