Hospital Transport

🩺 Post Questions & Find Info On: Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals, Health Insurance, Social Security, Care for the Elderly, etc.
hughnique

Hospital Transport

#11 Post by hughnique »

Blaze wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:37 am So the onus is on the patient to wear a mask if he/she is or feels vulnerable.
But then in my experience it did not work as soon as this man started his cough I immediately put one on, I have been ferried about on several occasions with other patients, never have I been asked if I minded, in fact it is generally encouraged by the authorities to keep there costs down. Most of the independent hospital car companies have been swallowed up by some sort of franchise around here, Jussieu, or something. I still use the local independent albeit the company name "Bidet" make you wonder.

Blaze

Hospital Transport

#12 Post by Blaze »

hughnique wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:17 am Most of the independent hospital car companies have been swallowed up by some sort of franchis
The person I used over 10 years ago still operates independently in Vernantes (Peguet-Bouvet). She was excellent. She had a couple other drivers who sometimes helped out, both brilliant.

The secret is to put your mask on before coming into contact with others ;) It doesn't take coughing or sneezing to spread illness, just exhaling can do that ! And to really protect yourself, it's better to use an FFP2 than the flat oblong ones.

exile

Hospital Transport

#13 Post by exile »

But @hughnique 's experience shows again the real issue of mask wearing.

Putting on your mask will provide some protection* but the real protection comes when the infected person wears a mask.

After all staff in an operating theatre do not wear masks to protect themselves from their patient.

* I have explained before but will do so again, After a short while, your mask will become damp through your exhaled breath. If a micro-droplet from an infected person lands on it, the moisture on your mask will provide a route for the virus to migrate from the outside to the inside of the mask.

So I very much agree that with shared transport of already sick people, masks really ought to be obligatory. By definition a sick person is going to be more vulnerable to any infection (cough, cold, Covid or whatever) and providing maximum protection should be mandatory.

hughnique

Hospital Transport

#14 Post by hughnique »

Not so long ago mask wearers were the norm, now one or two seen in the supermarket, and the strange looks you get, even at the radiology in Angers the other day some bloody woman hacking away, they should be made to wear them, if not sling them out.