Hospital Transport

🩺 Post Questions & Find Info On: Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals, Health Insurance, Social Security, Care for the Elderly, etc.
Veem

Hospital Transport

#1 Post by Veem »

Biggles went today for pre-op appointments at CHU Limoges. He came home with a raft of papers and one is a 'Prescription Medicale de Transport', which was filled in at the hospital. The prescription is for 'transport aller-retour'. What next? Does the hospital take complete charge of booking the transport or do we have to initiate something? We've never done this bit before so are feeling rather clueless.

Blaze

Hospital Transport

#2 Post by Blaze »

In my case, I rang a local ambulance-taxi service, saying I had a prescription for transport. I gave her the prescription and she dealt with everything re social security. I didn't have to hand over any money. I had 7 weeks of radio-therapy about an hour's drive away, so it took away the hassle of the drive and of course finding somewhere to park at the hospital.

Veem

Hospital Transport

#3 Post by Veem »

Thank you Blaze.
When Biggles had his pace maker replaced 14 months ago he had hospital transport home arranged by the hospital and we didn't have to do anything. Might it be different around the country?

Blaze

Hospital Transport

#4 Post by Blaze »

Veem - it may depend on whether you are leaving the hospital after treatment or if Biggles takes the return trip from home. The ambulance-taxis know the ropes - mine was incredibly helpful.

Veem

Hospital Transport

#5 Post by Veem »

OK Thanks. So the ambulance-taxis are like the people on here - incredibly helpful!!

DaveW

Hospital Transport

#6 Post by DaveW »

Just get a Bon de Transport from the doctor/hospital and the ambulance people will sort it out for you. They are good at it, it’s their business.

Veem

Hospital Transport

#7 Post by Veem »

Thank you DaveW. We'll certainly do that in time for 3 April.

Bayleaf

Hospital Transport

#8 Post by Bayleaf »

Some elderly clients of mine regularly use the hospital transport. Sometimes they have to share the taxi with others, which makes journeys take longer, but in general, they have the highest praise for it. The driver will drop you at the door, and (I think) come in and sort out the paperwork at the desk too.

hughnique

Hospital Transport

#9 Post by hughnique »

Last time I had the hospital taxi I caught pneumonia from another passenger, there should be an obligation to wear a mask.

Blaze

Hospital Transport

#10 Post by Blaze »

In 7 weeks of ambulance-taxis, I only ever shared a couple of times, and the driver asked me if I minded. She always came in and waited while I was being treated. That added a good half an hour to what was already about a 2 hour round trip so I could understand why she might want to benefit from an extra passenger occasionally. It was long before Covid days ....

Since Covid, I am more conscious of the risks when in a waiting room full of sick people and I always have a mask with me when visiting a doctor or hospital (fortunately not very often). We were once in a waiting room in the orthopaedic department and there was a person with a hacking cough who did not wear a mask .... it was horrible.
Personally, I think wearing masks in any medicalised building/vehicle should be obligatory, but that said, it's not pleasant for those who would have to wear one all day, i.e. hospital/medical staff.
So the onus is on the patient to wear a mask if he/she is or feels vulnerable.