Cancer Support France

🩺 Post Questions & Find Info On: Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals, Health Insurance, Social Security, Care for the Elderly, etc.
Doug

Cancer Support France

#11 Post by Doug »

Talking of cancer in family's, does any one here know of breast cancer in men?
There are two in my family, one in Australia, none in his family but was married to my niece who died of cancer, he developed it a year after.
Just before Christmas my younger brother aged 78, was diagnosed with it, he lost two wives, one after the other from breast cancer, years ago. Strange, never heard of it before and they say that it's impossible for someone to catch it off another person.

exile

Cancer Support France

#12 Post by exile »

I have heard of it though I think it is relatively rare. One cause of breast cancer - or at least contributing factor - is female hormones. Or so called because just as male hormones such as testosterone are found in all women, hormones such as oestrogen are found in men. Levels of the hormone are important in many cases and it follows then that oestrogen provoked cancers will be rarer in men.

Very much a simplified view of what is a complex area of research - oh that it were so simple as that.

Edit to add: There is clear evidence that some breast cancers are genetically provoked and can therefore be inherited. There is no evidence that you can catch it from someone else. Otherwise our oncology departments would be empty due to all of thez doctors and nurses who caught it.

Pathca

Cancer Support France

#13 Post by Pathca »

There’s lots of causes of cancer genetic,environmental,it just happens etc .However it definitely can not be caught