Octopus

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
Ford Focus

Octopus

#1 Post by Ford Focus »

We watched a travel programme yesterday evening hosted by Susan Calman a Scottish comedienne, television presenter, writer and panellist. She was on a cruise and was great to watch.

She and I have one thing in common we both hate octopus as a food! She forced down two small pieces and retched for Scotland. I cannot stand the thought of eating something basically without legs but which has long tentacles with suckers on them. YUK!

Does anyone on here actually enjoy eating them? :crazy:

Pathca

Octopus

#2 Post by Pathca »

Yes I do if cooked properly

niemeyjt

Octopus

#3 Post by niemeyjt »

Yes - in Italy they do the tentacles deep fried in a light batter with other seafood. Fruits de mer? Delicious.

Squid also is good. Yet I detest snails.

L Austin France

Octopus

#4 Post by L Austin France »

On a ferry restaurant to Italy from Sicily we ordered baby octopus.
Bit of a surprise when they arrived whole 'sat up' on the plate & began to move like they were still alive as the boat vibrated when leaving port.
Fair put our friends off their lunch. :)

Sparkle

Octopus

#5 Post by Sparkle »

Only a couple of times & they were battered otherwise I wouldn't have touched them.

@L Austin France oh crikey that sounds gross 🐙🤮
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Blaze

Octopus

#6 Post by Blaze »

L Austin France wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:57 pm Bit of a surprise when they arrived whole 'sat up' on the plate & began to move like they were still alive
Ah, I remember being presented with a couple of urchins, which I'd never eaten before, on a plate. When they started to move across the plate - clearly they were still alive - I chickened out !
The thought of eating something still alive ... 🤢

Sparkle

Octopus

#7 Post by Sparkle »

Doesn't sound like many of us would enjoy being in the jungle - get me outta here :D
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Bayleaf

Octopus

#8 Post by Bayleaf »

Sparkle wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:02 pm Doesn't sound like many of us would enjoy being in the jungle - get me outta here :D
Ask Nadine Dorries - apparently she's a bit partial to chewing on an ostrich anus, so she'd probably like it. :lol:

The only time I've had octopus is at a taverna in Greece years ago. The only item on the menu was sliced octopus tentacles, or calamari fried, washed down with Ouzo. Most other diners were Greek - not many tourists. It was definitely a "wouldn't work in any other atmosphere" experience! :lol: But it was worth it for the memory. :D

Oh, and the octopi were hung up along the front of the terrace to dry out ...... :?

Wilbro

Octopus

#9 Post by Wilbro »

My first octopus and squid was in our cheap hotel on the Costa Brava in 1964. Not fine dining to say the least and like pieces of inner tube in a weird sauce. Given them a miss ever since.

Polarengineer

Octopus

#10 Post by Polarengineer »

Lovely stuff. Best for breakfast washed down with retzina not ouzo. Aah memories of Cassandra 1969 before any tourists found it.