Veg oil?

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
Sparkle

Veg oil?

#21 Post by Sparkle »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:53 am Bring back the days when you could buy hard dripping in a white bag from the butchers, perfect for chips :clap: and reusable.
Some time back I bought a packet of pork lard from the supermarket. I don't know what I did wrong but we had some friends round for dinner & I thought roast spuds in pork lard - well I nearly had the kitchen on fire - the lard was spluttering away & I could smell burning. On opening the oven door.........plumes of smoke, burnt spuds & oven interior covered in fat splats - after I'd opened the patio door wide and done a lot of tea towel wafting, choking & very red in the face from the blast from opening the oven door I ran in panic mode into the sitting room and said roast spuds were off the menu and I'd knock up something else - I think they were more concerned about my face than the spuds :lol: Never ever buying that stuff again :lol:
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Pathca

Veg oil?

#22 Post by Pathca »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:53 am Bring back the days when you could buy hard dripping in a white bag from the butchers, perfect for chips :clap: and reusable.
When my uncle ran the family butcher,one of my aunties roles was to render the dripping for sale

Spectrum

Veg oil?

#23 Post by Spectrum »

Sparkle wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 am

Some time back I bought a packet of pork lard from the supermarket. I don't know what I did wrong but we had some friends round for dinner & I thought roast spuds in pork lard - well I nearly had the kitchen on fire - the lard was spluttering away & I could smell burning. On opening the oven door.........plumes of smoke, burnt spuds & oven interior covered in fat splats - after I'd opened the patio door wide and done a lot of tea towel wafting, choking & very red in the face from the blast from opening the oven door I ran in panic mode into the sitting room and said roast spuds were off the menu and I'd knock up something else - I think they were more concerned about my face than the spuds :lol: Never ever buying that stuff again :lol:
Iam not sure but I think you are only supposed to use Beef fat.

Meurette

Veg oil?

#24 Post by Meurette »

They never went away.

Sparkle

Veg oil?

#25 Post by Sparkle »

@Spectrum oops - you are probably right I never thought of that. I do remember my mum spreading beef dripping on toast with lovely brown jelly bits :D
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Spectrum

Veg oil?

#26 Post by Spectrum »

Meurette wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:02 pm
They never went away.
I assume you are in the UK, we can get the soft San Doux pork fat but as I have said to make dripping you need to ask at the meat counter for beef fat, its hard, and freezers well, and they have always given it to me free :clap: :angel: and I am having dripping on toast for breakfast this morning, :shh: :shh:

Veem

Veg oil?

#27 Post by Veem »

I managed to buy a large bottle of peanut oil today and there were a few smaller bottles of colza oil. Olive oil was certainly in good supply.

Spectrum

Veg oil?

#28 Post by Spectrum »

Just read in the Uk paper this morning that the Uk supermarkets are limiting the amount of oil that people can buy, so its still available over there. :shh:

niemeyjt

Veg oil?

#29 Post by niemeyjt »

And now Indonesia is halting exports of edible oils to add to the shortages.

source: https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 022-04-22/

hughnique

Veg oil?

#30 Post by hughnique »

Netto's 3 bottles per customer.