Getting stuffed

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
hughnique

Getting stuffed

#1 Post by hughnique »

I do like a bit of Paxo sage and onion stuffing with my chicken and turkey roasts, but there is a problem. I understand that it is a case of mixing the Paxo with an amount of boiling water and then putting in the oven sometime towards the end of cooking the meat, so far, so good. I do, though, like my stuffing moist and malleable, so as I can partake easily with a portion of meat, however what I am presented with is something akin to a crumble topping, and you dare not critisise, otherwise you can do it yourself next time threat is issued. I have not read the instructions on the packet but I would have thought in order to preserve the moistness, it would be better to cover the dish with foil.

Loup-garou

Getting stuffed

#2 Post by Loup-garou »

Have always put stuffing inside the birds.

hughnique

Getting stuffed

#3 Post by hughnique »

Pieces of meat though!

Veem

Getting stuffed

#4 Post by Veem »

Hi H, I almost always use Paxo too. The secret is to add more boiling water than you think you need and then mix it well and leave it for 20 mins or so. As the dry mix absorbs the water the stuffing swells and if it isn't the consistency of (for example) a creamy mashed potato, it might well end up too dry after cooking. Putting it in the bird certainly avoids it drying out too - plus takes on the flavour of the meat and vice versa. Perhaps you might suggest doing it so it's one less thing for your wife. :D

hughnique

Getting stuffed

#5 Post by hughnique »

After a serious case of buying a frozen turkey in SuperU one year which stunk to high heaven when defrosted, we have steered well clear of complete birds, preferring to buy, chicken breasts and fillet de Dinde. I did venture in to the chicken leg with the skin on a couple of weeks ago, too much picking it about and half ended up in the bin, as no doubt the remainder of the purchase, now in the freezer will. Thanks Veem I will put my diplomatic chefs hat on, although she will think I have banged my head or something offering to help.

niemeyjt

Getting stuffed

#6 Post by niemeyjt »

Loup-garou wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:03 amHave always put stuffing inside the birds.
Ditto - and it picks up juices whilst cooking so stays moist. But then I also make my own - a jar of chestnuts, some onions and sausage meat - so it probably is more moist to start with.

Quiksilver

Getting stuffed

#7 Post by Quiksilver »

It's ever so easy to make a Paxo equivalent in a food processor, with breadcrumbs, seasoning, some sage leaves and a chopped onion. Adding chestnuts and/or sausagemeat takes it to a new level as does adding dried cranberries or chopped, dried apricots. If cooking separately to the meat, put a sheet of buttered foil over the top until the last 10 minutes.

exile

Getting stuffed

#8 Post by exile »

Ditto @niemeyjt
For the stuffing meat I use Chair or Farci. I also add herbs - usually Herbes de Provence but if you prefer sage that is good too.
I only stuff the neck end. Stuffing the main cavity can lead to the meat not cooking though thoroughly, whereas leaving it empty - or perhaps with a lemon cut in half inside - means that the hot oven air circulates and cooks the meat from the inside as well as the outside and means a shorter cooking time and a more moist flesh.

Veem

Getting stuffed

#9 Post by Veem »

" Thanks Veem I will put my diplomatic chefs hat on, although she will think I have banged my head or something offering to help."

I know how she feels...... :lol:

Liz

Getting stuffed

#10 Post by Liz »

Have never ever bought a stuffing mix!
Always home-made and nice, whether cooked separately or stuffed in the bird.
Even with gluten free breadcrumbs made recently from some bought burger buns I found lurking in the freezer form last summer, the stuffing was good.
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?