Best thing since...

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
MAD87

Best thing since...

#21 Post by MAD87 »

Hotrodder wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:07 pm "As for hard butter, I usually leave it out of the fridge for an hour or two before using it."
Oradour must be in a warm part of the country.
Our butter is always kept out of the fridge and can only be spread for about 5 months of the year without a spell in the microwave.
Or perhaps our kitchen is warmer then yours?
I'm using Président Gastronomique butter at the moment, as U had run out of Président Tendre. More expensive but I won't skimp on good butter (or decent coffee either).

L Austin France

Best thing since...

#22 Post by L Austin France »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:16 am Hot cross bun time I think :D done on a dough setting moulded by hand.
Presumably in a machine with a dough hook.
I love home made Hot buns which, minus the cross are my non religeous take on hot Cross Buns.
I use our bread maker for mixing only & always fancied a proper machine for dough bashing.
Our food processor is well past it's sell by date so a replacement is due if I can find a machine that includes a dough hook.

Spectrum

Best thing since...

#23 Post by Spectrum »

L Austin France wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:38 am
Spectrum wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:16 am Hot cross bun time I think :D done on a dough setting moulded by hand.
Presumably in a machine with a dough hook.
I love home made Hot buns which, minus the cross are my non religeous take on hot Cross Buns.
I use our bread maker for mixing only & always fancied a proper machine for dough bashing.
Our food processor is well past it's sell by date so a replacement is due if I can find a machine that includes a dough hook.
No just with the standard paddle, have dough hook on stand mixer if I need to make larger amounts. The bread machine also has the auto fruit drop so once set up leave and forget, until proving time.

Hotrodder

Best thing since...

#24 Post by Hotrodder »

My Tristar one arrived today. (That was quick!) Took a bit of figuring out even with the basic instructions to assemble it. Although it is designed to fold up into a smaller space for storage, the sliding carriage and the pusher do not store inside the folded unit so that was a disappointment. Also there are only two tiny rubber feet to stop it sliding away from you when using it. There are no rubber feet under the main platform where you place the food when pushing toward the blade. So it is a little unstable. As with all "safety" features the 2-button switch to turn it on is fiddly and annoying in use. The left hand must be used to simultaneously push both buttons and steady the entire unit from sliding away from you while the right hand pushes the loaf toward the blade and slightly to the left to keep it against the guide. Cutting is accurate but slow. Tested with very fresh but cool soft bread. I will use it but it does leave a load more crumbs to be wiped up than if I had just used a knife.
I give it 7 out of 10 stars.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Spectrum

Best thing since...

#25 Post by Spectrum »

Hotrodder wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:28 pm My Tristar one arrived today. (That was quick!) Took a bit of figuring out even with the basic instructions to assemble it. Although it is designed to fold up into a smaller space for storage, the sliding carriage and the pusher do not store inside the folded unit so that was a disappointment. Also there are only two tiny rubber feet to stop it sliding away from you when using it. There are no rubber feet under the main platform where you place the food when pushing toward the blade. So it is a little unstable. As with all "safety" features the 2-button switch to turn it on is fiddly and annoying in use. The left hand must be used to simultaneously push both buttons and steady the entire unit from sliding away from you while the right hand pushes the loaf toward the blade and slightly to the left to keep it against the guide. Cutting is accurate but slow. Tested with very fresh but cool soft bread. I will use it but it does leave a load more crumbs to be wiped up than if I had just used a knife.
I give it 7 out of 10 stars.
This description does not seem to be the one I saw on Amazon, it a direct copy of the Bosch one ie four rubber feet under the motor housing Two supports for the table and designed to be switched on by the right hand, the left hand works the sliding carriage, very stable and no need to hold it down, Iam sorry you find it unsuitable.

Hotrodder

Best thing since...

#26 Post by Hotrodder »

Spectrum wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:09 am
L Austin France wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:23 pm
Spectrum wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:51 am Bosch electric slicer,
Have you a reference for this you can share?
Happy to oblige Enr MAS4000W/11 FD 9603 Zn 705150

If you cannot find a Bosch then the Tristar EM-2098 is the same Amazon.fr 55€.
I couldn't find the Bosch so assumed from this post the Tristar was the same device with a different name on it.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

L Austin France

Best thing since...

#27 Post by L Austin France »

Hotrodder wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:28 pm Tested with very fresh but cool soft bread. I will use it but it does leave a load more crumbs to be wiped up than if I had just used a knife.
I found that out as well. :lol:
Setting the m/c up, slowly slicing the loaf so as not to squash it, clearing up the mess afterwards & putting it away again became such a chore I gave up using it.
Admittedly not sarnie thin, but I can cut up two large loaves by hand in a fraction of the time it takes with my machine with much less mess.
I'm baking again on Sunday when,if I remember, I'll bake a more 'robust' brownish pain complet type loaf & try again to cut sarnie thin slices on the machine.

Spectrum

Best thing since...

#28 Post by Spectrum »

The picture on Amazon looked identical to the Bosch one, I have compared your discretion of what you have with the Bosch I have. Perhaps you are better sticking to V8 they are less complicated ;) :D Also I didn't know cutting bread had become an Olympic sport :lol: two loaf time trial :lol: :lol:

L Austin France

Best thing since...

#29 Post by L Austin France »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:35 am Also I didn't know cutting bread had become an Olympic sport :lol: two loaf time trial :lol: :lol:
It hasn't.......................yet.
Matter of interest, what's the recipe for the bread you can machine cut so thin?

L Austin France

Best thing since...

#30 Post by L Austin France »

Googling around I found this which seems like a DIY project that might work