Best thing since...

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
Hotrodder

Best thing since...

#31 Post by Hotrodder »

As long as you are OK with a little sawdust on each slice.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

L Austin France

Best thing since...

#32 Post by L Austin France »

Hotrodder wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:38 pm As long as you are OK with a little sawdust on each slice.
Doubt it as bread knives are not crosscut & don't cut on their side. Still it wouldn't be you if you didn't find something wrong with most folks suggestions. :o
How's yer crappy 'leccy slicer :roll:

Hotrodder

Best thing since...

#33 Post by Hotrodder »

It's resting in the drawer hoping I forgot where I left it.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Loup-garou

Best thing since...

#34 Post by Loup-garou »

It would be like Russian Roulette; who gets the sandwich made with the last slice and the tomato sauce/mayonnaise fountain! :crazy:

L Austin France

Best thing since...

#35 Post by L Austin France »

L Austin France wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:13 pm
Spectrum wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:35 am Also I didn't know cutting bread had become an Olympic sport :lol: two loaf time trial :lol: :lol:
It hasn't.......................yet.
Matter of interest, what's the recipe for the bread you can machine cut so thin?
I'm baking on Sunday so any chance you could let me know your recipe?

Spectrum

Best thing since...

#36 Post by Spectrum »

L Austin France wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:45 pm
L Austin France wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:13 pm
Spectrum wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:35 am Also I didn't know cutting bread had become an Olympic sport :lol: two loaf time trial :lol: :lol:
It hasn't.......................yet.
Matter of interest, what's the recipe for the bread you can machine cut so thin?
Its from the bread maker recipes, plain white medium loaf, 1Tps of dried yeast, 400Gr bread flour, 1Tsp of salt, 1Tsp sugar, 15Gr of butter and 280mm of water, in that order. I also have two books on bread making so many different bread s to make.

L Austin France

Best thing since...

#37 Post by L Austin France »

Spectrum wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:57 am
L Austin France wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:45 pm
L Austin France wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:13 pm It hasn't.......................yet.
Its from the bread maker recipes, plain white medium loaf, 1Tps of dried yeast, 400Gr bread flour, 1Tsp of salt, 1Tsp sugar, 15Gr of butter and 280mm of water, in that order. I also have two books on bread making so many different bread s to make.
Aha!
That maybe explains it. Your bread has 70% water-flour plus sugar & butter & is presumably made in bread maker at normal sandwich size.
The bread I make specially for toast is a basic bread flour, 60% water, salt & yeast. I find any butter/oil makes the toast crispy & not palatable.
When I make our fortnightly 2 loaves I use 1,200 gm flour, 720 gm water, small handfull of salt (never measured it) & 10-12 gms of dried yeast.
I mix it up in the breadmaker, take out & rest for 1st rise, weigh & divide weight by 12. 7/12 for my very large loaf & 5/12 for her smaller'un. Knock back & put into two tins to rise again covered in damp cloth.
Bake at 180 deg for about 45 mins or until internal temperature is 92 deg.
This makes two large & squashy loaves which are great for hand cut toast slices but rubbish for machine slicing.
This weekend I'm gonna try to make a sandwich loaf in the breadmaker probably using your recipe to see how that turns out & machine slices.

Spectrum

Best thing since...

#38 Post by Spectrum »

I use the bread maker on the basic loafs, fit and forget, but I use it a fair bit just on a dough recipe, then knead and form by hand, I bake at 220C/250C for about 15/20mins, I feel that you are baking at a too low temp, Iam lucky in that my ovens will go up to 275C you need to turn yours up to the max, but 250C is the limit, according to the bread books I have.

L Austin France

Best thing since...

#39 Post by L Austin France »

Spectrum wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:07 pm I use the bread maker on the basic loafs, fit and forget, but I use it a fair bit just on a dough recipe, then knead and form by hand, I bake at 220C/250C for about 15/20mins, I feel that you are baking at a too low temp, Iam lucky in that my ovens will go up to 275C you need to turn yours up to the max, but 250C is the limit, according to the bread books I have.
Actually I preheat the oven to 220 deg & then turn it down to 180 when I put the bread mix in to cook.
I maybe should have mentioned this but my post was not intended to be an instruction on 'how to bake bread'.
Edit
You got me thinking so I've just looked at our breadmaker manual & can't see anywhere where it says what temperature it cooks at.
Mr Google says "Most bread machines bake bread at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 175 degrees Celsius"

L Austin France

Best thing since...

#40 Post by L Austin France »

Three loaves baked this morning.
Two big loaves baked in oven at 180 deg for 45 mins. (220 preheat turned down just before loaves put in) Internal temp. 93 deg when done. Crusts nicely soft for toasting.
Strange looking thing made in breadmaker, temp unknown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.