La quinzaine d'Anjou

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
ajm

La quinzaine d'Anjou

#1 Post by ajm »

This is when everybody turns up at least fifteen minutes later than the appointed time. Yesterday was our village picnic with aperos at 12h. We got there about 1220 and only a handful of people present. By the time the mayor had made her speech followed by the head of the comité des fêtes had done his the aperos were served at about 1325. Having said that a good time was had by all and it was good to see a lot of younger couples and children there. :D

Blaze

La quinzaine d'Anjou

#2 Post by Blaze »

I've never heard that expression. Where we lived it was the quart d'heure angevin ! That said, it seems to apply here in Brittany as well - no-one ever turns up on time for a social event.
I sometimes wonder if people turn up late to avoid the endless speeches the french are so fond of. You soon get to know whose speech will go over the 10 minute limit !!!

We learnt long ago that if you want people to come at a specific time, it's best to adjust it by half an hour. Again, you get to know who will be on time and who won't !!
The only time I find the lateness irritating is when we are convened for something like a music practice and the practice time is limited.

curtis

La quinzaine d'Anjou

#3 Post by curtis »

It's everywhere. Here le quart d'heure Charantais.
It's like when you are discussing the weather every person claims where they live has a "micro climat" !

ajm

La quinzaine d'Anjou

#4 Post by ajm »

Blaze wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:22 pm I've never heard that expression. Where we lived it was the quart d'heure angevin ! That said, it seems to apply here in Brittany as well - no-one ever turns up on time for a social event.
I sometimes wonder if people turn up late to avoid the endless speeches the french are so fond of. You soon get to know whose speech will go over the 10 minute limit !!!

We learnt long ago that if you want people to come at a specific time, it's best to adjust it by half an hour. Again, you get to know who will be on time and who won't !!
The only time I find the lateness irritating is when we are convened for something like a music practice and the practice time is limited.
Another variation is Anjou quinze.

Blaze

La quinzaine d'Anjou

#5 Post by Blaze »

ajm wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:52 pm Another variation is Anjou quinze.
49's a big department, must vary according to secteur/commune etc ! We lived there for over 18 years and I've never heard of either expression ! That said we left the area over 7 years ago !!

ajm

La quinzaine d'Anjou

#6 Post by ajm »

When I was on the committee of the golf club it was decided that after a competition the prize giving would be at 1800h precisely. The woman who won her division was not there in time so the prize was given to the lady who came second. When the real winner turned up at 1820h to find that she wasn't going to get a prize she was not a happy lapin.

Blaze

La quinzaine d'Anjou

#7 Post by Blaze »

ajm wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:12 pm When the real winner turned up at 1820h to find that she wasn't going to get a prize she was not a happy lapin.
Good for the committee to stick to their guns - it doesn't happen very often. It might teach the woman a bit more respect for the organisers !!
Members of OH's singing group are pretty good at turning up on time, but as they start pretty promptly, latecomers would be noticed.

Mangetout

La quinzaine d'Anjou

#8 Post by Mangetout »

One of my pet hates is lateness, I find it so rude. Even worse is not turning up at all without letting the organiser know. That happened recently when I had organised lunch for a group at a restaurant. Grrrr.

DominicBest

La quinzaine d'Anjou

#9 Post by DominicBest »

curtis wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:32 pm It's everywhere. Here le quart d'heure Charantais.
It's like when you are discussing the weather every person claims where they live has a "micro climat" !
There are plenty of micro climates around the north of the Charente and bordering départements. Only this evening I’ve been reading FB reports from various friends who live only a few km away, they’ve been suffering horrendous rain and wind while I’ve been here in the sunshine watering my parched garden. Perhaps tomorrow…

curtis

La quinzaine d'Anjou

#10 Post by curtis »

Voilà...la preuve.