Onion & tomato tart

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
DominicBest

Onion & tomato tart

#11 Post by DominicBest »

Now I’m hungry and I only finished lunch an hour ago!

L Austin France

Onion & tomato tart

#12 Post by L Austin France »

If anyone is interested the recipe was something like this with my amateur take on things;
Slice 3-4 largish onions & cook in olive oil until well soft for spreading.Add salt & pepper to taste. leave to cool.
Slice up tomatoes about 1/4" thick. Number determined by size of toms & pastry. (I find a serrated bread knife is excellent for this)
Prepare a roll of puff pastry & set on floured inverted oven tray or whatever else is large enough for pastry.
Spread cooled onion on pastry & lay out toms on top in slightly overlapping circles.
Sprinkle with a good pinch each of dried oregano & thyme.
Cook in preheated oven at about 180 deg for about 30-40 mins or until toms are softly cooked. (recipe said 15 mins but this was patently not right)
My apologies to proper cooks for this but thought it might help other wannabe cooks like me.

suein56

Onion & tomato tart

#13 Post by suein56 »

L Austin France wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:58 pm Cook in preheated oven at about 180 deg for about 30-40 mins or until toms are softly cooked.
I think I found the same - or a very similar - recipe .. but the oven temp was given as 200°C not 180°. Plus the pastry was cooked alone for 5 mins in the hot oven before adding the onions.
That would make a substantial difference - but even so 15 mins cooking does seem a very short time. I would have thought 20 mins at 200° would be more realistic.

DominicBest

Onion & tomato tart

#14 Post by DominicBest »

L Austin France wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:58 pm If anyone is interested the recipe was something like this with my amateur take on things;
Slice 3-4 largish onions & cook in olive oil until well soft for spreading.Add salt & pepper to taste. leave to cool.
Slice up tomatoes about 1/4" thick. Number determined by size of toms & pastry. (I find a serrated bread knife is excellent for this)
Prepare a roll of puff pastry & set on floured inverted oven tray or whatever else is large enough for pastry.
Spread cooled onion on pastry & lay out toms on top in slightly overlapping circles.
Sprinkle with a good pinch each of dried oregano & thyme.
Cook in preheated oven at about 180 deg for about 30-40 mins or until toms are softly cooked. (recipe said 15 mins but this was patently not right)
My apologies to proper cooks for this but thought it might help other wannabe cooks like me.
That looks like a perfectly good recipe to me, I understood every step of the process.

glazedallover

Onion & tomato tart

#15 Post by glazedallover »

I understood it except 'inverted oven tray ' .......why inverted ?

Quiksilver

Onion & tomato tart

#16 Post by Quiksilver »

Extroverted ones tend to fling themselves all over the oven and make a terrible noise :D

glazedallover

Onion & tomato tart

#17 Post by glazedallover »

Quiksilver wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:20 pm Extroverted ones tend to fling themselves all over the oven and make a terrible noise :D
Thank you young lady.

glazedallover

Onion & tomato tart

#18 Post by glazedallover »

Or omit the tomatoes (or not) and add anchovies and olives. Yum.

exile

Onion & tomato tart

#19 Post by exile »

I use an inverted tray to cook Tarte au Flamme (sp?) (Flamkucken). It makes it much easier to get the pastry off the tray and onto a board for cutting - without the danger of it disintegrating in the process.

Quiksilver

Onion & tomato tart

#20 Post by Quiksilver »

glazedallover wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:51 pm Or omit the tomatoes (or not) and add anchovies and olives. Yum.
And pineapple? :lol: