Slow cookers etc.

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
MAD87

Slow cookers etc.

#1 Post by MAD87 »

I've procrastinated for a long time over what I might buy to make my life easier in the kitchen - slow cooker, air fryer and their ilk. Now that we're moving into the colder season, I'm looking for summat that will simplify stews, casseroles, pie fillings etc. I do have a pressure cooker somewhere, but I've lost the instructions and haven't used one in decades.
I'm therefore looking for advice/recommendations (in the absence of a handsome young chef wandering into my kitchen).

niemeyjt

Slow cookers etc.

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

A small Crockpot is ideal for two.

US site - but shows options - https://www.crock-pot.com/slow-cookers/3-quart-under/

Lori

Slow cookers etc.

#3 Post by Lori »

I'm not a fan of slow cookers. I just don't like the lack of flavor of the foods cooked in them. It most certainly could be a problem with the 'cook.' But, I've never managed to make a success of one.

As you are looking for something to prepare stews and pie fillings, the air fryer probably won't be your choice as it does not accommodate pots of liquid. Casseroles are another thing. Those can be made in the A/F. I have found though that many of the ingredients that go into stews or fillings can be prepared in the A/F and then added to the liquid stew/casserole/other. This usually cuts the preparation time considerably. For example, dishes that call for you to slice and pan fry eggplant (for Moussaka for example), you can slice it and cook it in the A/D in about 12 minutes. Dishes that call for roasted cubes of Tofu - A/F in 15 minutes or less.

You can also prepare tartes (sweet or savoury) in the air fryer. Onion Tarte, Tomato Tarte, Berry Tarte, etc. Or, if you have left over Bolognaise pasta, you can pop that into a tarte pan and have Pasta Tarte. It's endless.

We ADORE ours. I would recommend not getting one smaller than 5.5 litres. You may think a smaller one would do for only 2 people. Promise me, you'll want the space of a 5.5L or even larger - this is how you can make tartes and casseroles. Anything smaller will turn out tartes the size of your hand. We use ours almost every single day. It is amazing what you can do with them (boil eggs, toast bread, bake any kind of meats/fish, bake muffins, and it is excellent with potatoes - fresh or frozen). We will never be without one.. Here is the one we have:

https://www.amazon.fr/COSORI-Fonctions- ... 30e43&th=1

Nomoss

Slow cookers etc.

#4 Post by Nomoss »

I have always regarded slow cooking as accelerated decay.

suein56

Slow cookers etc.

#5 Post by suein56 »

Lori wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:03 pm We will never be without one.. Here is the one we have:

https://www.amazon.fr/COSORI-Fonctions- ... 30e43&th=1
My daughter has the same one and thinks it's wonderful.
She pinched the idea of an air-fryer from her visit to us last year. Tho we have a small one .. which is fine for us, but it is as you say Lori size-defined, so I make 2 small tartes instead of one larger one.
I have just made an apple cake using the AF and it turned out splendidly.
OH has a slow-cooker he favours using in the colder months .. we use herbs to add flavour to slow cooked chicken but then we always have, even when roasted in an oven.

DaveW

Slow cookers etc.

#6 Post by DaveW »

I bought one of these recently

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B08GC1QZ5W?psc ... ct_details

Still experimenting, but have to say it cooks the best fried chicken I’ve tasted.

MAD87

Slow cookers etc.

#7 Post by MAD87 »

So the air fryer seems to take the honours here. I'd have to continue the soups, Bourgignon, etc. in a pot, which is no big deal really. The Ninja looks interesting.

Chappers51

Slow cookers etc.

#8 Post by Chappers51 »

I bought a double slow cooker from Lakeland about 3 years ago, as my original crockpot is probably over 30 years old and now far too big for one, even though I do some bulk cooking . I used to cook and freeze Freddy’s meat in it, but Raffi’s on a different regime.

Earlier this year I bought myself a Ninja 400 with 2 drawers which not only airfries, but roasts, bakes, dehydrates and has a maxi crisp. I have a large gas falcon cooker, 16 years old which now I rarely use. It will next be used when my French neighbour and her sister come to make traditional Christmas cakes with me.

Cooking for one with the slow cooker and ninja has certainly made my life easier and I don’t have masses to freeze or eat over several days.

Hotrodder

Slow cookers etc.

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

With all the reports of air fryers catching fire and doing various unexpected things I wouldn't be touching one.

If you already have a pressure cooker I would have a go using it. You certainly don't need instructions, I don't think I have ever seen any but there might be some ideas on using them online. I find them the best thing for cheap winter soups. I start with a few spoons of curry spices, a little oil, and chopped onions & garlic. Give them a gentle fry in the pressure cooker before adding chopped vegetables. Anything you have to hand will do, then cover with water. Put the lid on and bring to the boil. When the steam hisses out of the top just drop the little weight on and turn off the heat. Leave it alone for maybe half an hour. Slowly lift off the weight to release the pressure. Whizz the contents in a blender to the consistency required.
A stew can be done in much the same way, just brown the meat well in with the onions, etc. at the beginning.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Chappers51

Slow cookers etc.

#10 Post by Chappers51 »

My Ninja is similar to Dave W’s, but the next size up. If you do go for one keep an eye on different outlets. I paid just under 200€ from Boulanger for mine, at the time it was about 20€ more from Amazon.

My mother would never have a pressure cooker in the house and I’ve followed her guidance in the kitchen!