Slow cookers etc.

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
Mangetout

Slow cookers etc.

#11 Post by Mangetout »

I think it really depends on what sort of food you eat.

Chappers51

Slow cookers etc.

#12 Post by Chappers51 »

With my ninja I’ve done the equivalent of roast, air fry, bake, grilled but curry, casserole, pie mixes and ratatouille I make in the slow cooker.
I’m going to try trout in the ninja this weekend.

DaveW

Slow cookers etc.

#13 Post by DaveW »

My first real experiment with the ninja was a roast dinner. Piece of beef in one drawer and par boiled spuds in the other, people claim you don’t need to par boil, I’ll give that a try. Wonderful bit of magic is you can set each draw to cook independently. Beef on roast setting and spuds on air fry with different time settings, then use the synch button so that they both finish at the same time, just make sure to turn the meat over and shake the spuds. I have to admit it was pretty good.

I’m not impressed with its performance on baked potatoes, the outside is good but not cooked inside. My solution was to to put the potatoes in the microwave for 4 minutes and then finish it in the ninja.

Lori

Slow cookers etc.

#14 Post by Lori »

DaveW wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:08 pm I bought one of these recently

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B08GC1QZ5W?psc ... ct_details

Still experimenting, but have to say it cooks the best fried chicken I’ve tasted.
Husband's sister has one of these and when he visits her, he says it is AMAZING. Much nicer than our Cosori. I guess when the Cosori gives out, we'll have to consider the Ninja.

Lori

Slow cookers etc.

#15 Post by Lori »

DaveW wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:03 pm My solution was to to put the potatoes in the microwave for 4 minutes and then finish it in the ninja.
Yes, I do this with sweet potatoes. I don't have to do it with other potatoes if I cube or slice them. If keeping them whole, yes I'd microwave them for a couple of minutes, then air fry. Whole sweet potatoes seem to need more time in the microwave before going in the air fryer. Same goes for fresh eggplant. Needs to be microwaved for about 4 minutes (depending the size), then air fried.

Still cuts down the amount of cooking time (and energy used to cook) considerably.

Chappers51

Slow cookers etc.

#16 Post by Chappers51 »

I’m with you Dave W.

I’ve read about microwaving potatoes before baking but that’s a winter test for me. It’s the reduction in cooking and energy time which drew me to the Ninja especially as I’m cooking for one. When in doubt I use the search button, read a range of suggestions and decide which route I want to take.

I look forward to seeing how my gas consumption has changed.

Polly

Slow cookers etc.

#17 Post by Polly »

A friend with gall bladder trouble bought a smallish Ninja, used it so much that she handed that to her son and his partner, having bought the large double model, as her problems digesting fat continued after her gall bladder was removed. She cooked a wide range of meals in it, said there was almost nothing that couldn’t be cooked in it.

She said it was her best ever purchase for the kitchen and bought a second large Ninja, using both on Sundays when the whole family has lunch with them.

She has a big kitchen and bank balance 😁

MAD87

Slow cookers etc.

#18 Post by MAD87 »

@Mangetout Very good point. I have to say, we eat French, rather than English/US. I like fish, eggs, pasta and veg, OH is more of a carnivore and would love things like roast potatoees. He came from a German household where as far as I'm concerned, they lived to eat, not the other way around! I'm not a big potato fan, preferring rice or pasta.
I'm now pretty much convinced that the Ninja (with manual waved under OH's nose for spuds) would suit us. I must also get out the pressure cooker - without disturbing any spider's nest...

Mangetout

Slow cookers etc.

#19 Post by Mangetout »

I look at my menu for today and wonder if an air fryer, or whatever you call them, would be of any use to me. Today I had homemade compote and yogurt for breakfast. The yogurt was shop bought and the compote was made in a saucepan yesterday and took barely 10 minutes. I made enough for 3 or 4 days. For lunch I've just made some gazpacho with the last of the toms from the potager, along with baby courgettes in place of peppers or cucumber. I'll eat it poured on top of wholegrain bread and top with crumbled feta. Tonight it's steamed garden veg, carrots, courgette and brocoli, with pan fried salmon. All of these things can be done in minutes on top of a stove so I don't see where I could use one of these pieces of equipment.

rabbit

Slow cookers etc.

#20 Post by rabbit »

We have a slow cooker and find it great for casseroles etc Very convenient for when we are out and want a meal ready for our return