Easy Christmas lunnch?

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
MAD87

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#1 Post by MAD87 »

We'll be at home for at least 1 day over the festive period and I'm lookiing for ideas. No sprouts, cauli, roast pots, thank you!
For years, I made Beeff Wellington if we were hosting family lujnches, but I've no energy to do anything like that this year. OH is a traditioànalist but doesn't dirty his mitts in the kitchen. I'd be happy having a salmon steak with rice or pasta, but I'd be eating alone in that case.
Any suggestions welcome!

demi

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#2 Post by demi »

We are having toad in the hole, with onion gravy & red cabbage with apples & onions. The kids don't like roast & quite honestly, having been up since sparrows' fart aren't really bothered by the lunch. Nor are the adults!!

suein56

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#3 Post by suein56 »

MAD87 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:38 am .. but I've no energy to do anything like that this year
Most of our retired French female friends make a trip to Mme Picard (or order online for home delivery) and buy one of the extensive range of stuffed birds .. just chuck in the oven until it's done and add your preferred vegs. Followed by a Picard dessert.
Either that or they order a complete meal from the traiteur.
This is, of course, the ones that have given up on the midnight sea-fest feast on Xmas Eve and caught up with the idea of having an interesting Xmas Day lunch.

Headers

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#4 Post by Headers »

A couple of the restos round here are open on 25/12 doing a seasonal French menu but also offering it as a takeaway!
Our favourite Xmas dinners are either tournedos or magret. Very little tricky cooking to do.

hughnique

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#5 Post by hughnique »

Lidl did a nice stuffed Turkey last year and it was really good, eat it all myself over a couple of days,[ married to a right fussy eater], don't get the cheap one that's cat food. Also nice salmon en croute delish.

Biloute

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#6 Post by Biloute »

We are lucky to have several farm shops nearby, including one in which we buy all our vegetables, meats, fish, sausage, pâté, cheeses, regional specialties, etc. Everything is grown, raised, caught or made in the surrounding area and the quality is fantastic for a reasonable price since there is little transport and no middlemen who mark up. For Christmas, their catering section offers lots of original and not too expensive dishes. We went yesterday: there were a lot of seniors already placing their orders. Several told me that at their age they no longer want to cook for themselves and that they often go to this store. For my part, I still have the taste and the energy to cook myself but in the future, if I have to buy prepared meals, it will be there !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Demain est le premier des jours qu'il nous reste à vivre: profitons-en ! :D

MAD87

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#7 Post by MAD87 »

@suein56 Thanks - I've juust been to Picard and they have quite a few interesting ideas at a reasonable price.
@Biloute thanks for mentioning magret, it could be the perfect choice and easy to cook.
@demi thank you too for your ideas (I make a mean spiced German red cabbage, thanks to German Granny-in-law.
What I'd reaally like is a steak and mushroom pie!

demi

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#8 Post by demi »

Mad, any chance of the recipe for your red cabbage?

niemeyjt

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#9 Post by niemeyjt »

MAD87 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:38 amAny suggestions welcome!
https://www.delish.com/uk/food-news/a30 ... me-tinner/

tagh

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#10 Post by tagh »

Which thread proves that Xmas lunch is never easy. Me, I am up for duck this year.