Easy Christmas lunnch?

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
MAD87

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#11 Post by MAD87 »

demi wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:26 pm Mad, any chance of the recipe for your red cabbage?
Finely chopped onion sweated in olive oil and butter.
Mix fnely shredded red cabbage into sweaty onion.
Add finely chopped apple. Splash all with wine vinegar and a cup of water and ground black pepper. Cook on low heat for 2 - 2.5 hours, add a handful of raisins or sultanas for last hour.
Stir from time to time to avoid burning, add vinegar or a little brown sugar + black pepper to adjust sweet-sour taste.
Great with pork.

demi

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#12 Post by demi »

Thank you, Mad. Very similar to mine but I also add cinnamon.

Lori

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#13 Post by Lori »

That sounds delicious MAD. I'll have to try it, though OH isn't keen on cabbage. I love it.

MAD87

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#14 Post by MAD87 »

demi wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:51 am Thank you, Mad. Very similar to mine but I also add cinnamon.
Yes, I forgot the cinnamon and a bay leaf. The great thing is that you can make it a day or 2 in advance.
@Lori : red cabbage might change his mind. Even our children loved it.

demi

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#15 Post by demi »

And it freezes really well.

Doug

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#16 Post by Doug »

Not so easy but traditional.
Foie gras starter.
Duck a l'orange with all the trad vegetables.
Don't do Christmas pudding but an old recipee Dundee cake (made sometime ago) which is given a tot twice a week.

MAD87

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#17 Post by MAD87 »

I did foie gras last year, forgetting that one of my sons doesn't eat it! :oops:
Followed by confit, as I'd just broken a collar bone and couldn't do much. OH is the only ppuddin' eater in the house. This week I received a pudding and cake parcel from Dublin, so he can eat the puddin' and I'll eat the cake (everyone else leaves that alone too). Not the same as homemade cake made in summer and spiked with whiskey every week.
I'm contemplating magret with rotkohl and maybe marrons. No spuds and definitely no bloody sprouts. Dessert will probably be something creamy and chocolaty from the patisserie.

Sparkle

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#18 Post by Sparkle »

We've both got really bad colds so it's going to be an easy to do dinner. At the moment I think I'm going to do this recipe as it's easy and it's slow cooking so can go in the oven overnight.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recip ... der-recipe
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Doug

Easy Christmas lunnch?

#19 Post by Doug »

Mami is just doing mince pies, as friends coming in pm. Ive been cooking sausage rolls that have been in the freezer since last Christmas, (having over made) still yummy.