Sick of all this food tv

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
Headers

Sick of all this food tv

#1 Post by Headers »

Neither of us are well at the moment.
I retreated to my boudoir yesterday feeling very queezy.
OH then proceeded to trawl through the UK TV programs with the sound too loud.
Almost every time he stopped it was either a food advert
or a food program with people like Jamie Oliver praising the unctuous onion gravy and crispy pork crackling. Eugh.

I feel some sympathy with the many people who will be struggling to put such a sumptuous feast upon their table this week.
The false narrative that the adverts push of happy families.
It just doesn’t feel right.
Yes I am ill.

MAD87

Sick of all this food tv

#2 Post by MAD87 »

I hope you recover soon Headers and Mrs. I agree with you re food - the Brits overeat at Christmas and then wonder why they feel bloated! As you say, plenty don't have the means to eat adequately, let alone overeat.

Hotrodder

Sick of all this food tv

#3 Post by Hotrodder »

And all for no better reason than "tradition".
Disgusting excess when millions are starving in the world.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Quiksilver

Sick of all this food tv

#4 Post by Quiksilver »

We'd not been here many years before I noticed a distinct craving for salad and mineral water through December :lol: The publicity starts even earlier now...Lidl being the worst culprit. Sales of indigestion remedies must rocket in the winter?
Hope you feel better soon, Headers. Tell him to wear headphones :D

Blaze

Sick of all this food tv

#5 Post by Blaze »

Hope you both feel better soon Headers, it's a miserable time to be feeling ill.
French TV is just as bad with adverts for food or one of the endless cookery programmes. But at least the helpings are more sensible. Our last brief visit to the UK was about 5 years ago and we were horrified at the size of the helpings of food in restaurants and pubs. Delicious, but far too much, and it was the same everywhere we went. And that wasn't even at Christmas.

The sad fact is that the publicity people have done a great job of brainwashing people that they must spend a fortune at Christmas on meals and presents. It has become horribly commercial, centred around parting with your hard-earned cash, leaving many people feeling bad because they haven't the money to spend. It would be nice to go back to "it's the thought that counts"...

DaveW

Sick of all this food tv

#6 Post by DaveW »

I’m glad I don't watch TV anymore. The LNB on my dish died a couple of years ago and I just left it.

I know I’m missing nowt.

hughnique

Sick of all this food tv

#7 Post by hughnique »

Blaze wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:52 pm Our last brief visit to the UK was about 5 years ago and we were horrified at the size of the helpings of food in restaurants and pubs
The carvery's are a fine example, the plate is loaded to the hilt, gravy slewing everywhere as they waddle back to their seats, then they leave half the veg, total waste. Yes too many cookery programmes, even though I can watch a few, OH moans like buggery about them, but then she sits watching episode after episode of Netflix, The walking Dead

niemeyjt

Sick of all this food tv

#8 Post by niemeyjt »

Cheap TV to fill the gaps between the adverts.

Blaze

Sick of all this food tv

#9 Post by Blaze »

hughnique wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:34 am The carvery's are a fine example, the plate is loaded to the hilt, gravy slewing everywhere as they waddle back to their seats
At self-service restaurants like the Chinkies and my favourite Crescendo, I'm confess we look on with horror as those who look as if they could eat less pile their plates high and then they leave the veg, just as you said.

By the way, some episodes of The Walking Dead have been filmed recently in Saint-Malo ! We don't watch much TV so will never see them !!

Spectrum

Sick of all this food tv

#10 Post by Spectrum »

Iam sure that I have read that some restaurant's are charging people a cover charge for wasted food, in all our years together we have never been to one of these pile it as high as you can places, but we know friends that do go to them regularly, a popular one being a Chinese version. And agreed far to many cookery programs on TV very rare if we watch any of them, too many cooks spoil the broth.