Nice chips

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
L Austin France

Nice chips

#1 Post by L Austin France »

Just tried Aldi's MrFrites , Frites, Steakhouse au Four.
Half a 1 kg packet in the air fryer at 200 deg for 14/15 mins & they were yummy. :D

DaveW

Nice chips

#2 Post by DaveW »

They are yummy but are ultra processed, so you get some added stuff that is probably not good for you.
I’ve reverted to real spuds in the air fryer and they taste pretty good.

Hotrodder

Nice chips

#3 Post by Hotrodder »

We also use real spuds, hand cut, and cooked in an old-school deep fat friteuse.
After reading so many instances of air fryers catching fire we don't fancy one. :?
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

rabbit

Nice chips

#4 Post by rabbit »

Hotrodder wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:27 am We also use real spuds, hand cut, and cooked in an old-school deep fat friteuse.
After reading so many instances of air fryers catching fire we don't fancy one. :?
i think you a more likely to have a serious fire from a deep fat fryer than an air fryer

L Austin France

Nice chips

#5 Post by L Austin France »

rabbit wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:51 am
Hotrodder wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:27 am We also use real spuds, hand cut, and cooked in an old-school deep fat friteuse.
i think you a more likely to have a serious fire from a deep fat fryer than an air fryer
And more mess & stink. :)
Last night we just fancied dunking chips in tomato sauce & fried eggs so frozen Aldi chips in air fryer it was. 20 min tops, freezer/fridge to plate.
Mind you, you can't really beat proper spuds cut into chips & twice deep fried in decent oil if you've got the time & inclination for all the preparation & clearing up , but decent frozen chips/air fryer come a close second these days.

beejay

Nice chips

#6 Post by beejay »

There are many cases of deep fat fryers catching fire long before the air fryer became de rigueur.

Hotrodder

Nice chips

#7 Post by Hotrodder »

You can defend any newfangled invention by the same logic. But unless you can disprove that three generations of my family have successfully used deep fat without ever having a fire incident, I am not impressed. I still haven't heard of a fish and chip shop using an air fryer, fashionable or not.

Just one more fad/attempt to separate us from our cash.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

A.N.Other

Nice chips

#8 Post by A.N.Other »

There speaks someone who's never used one and using a chip shop as an analogy is totally disingenuous.

You miss the point too, a typically air fryer will consume ~50% of the electricity of a conventional oven so is in fact a money saver, not to mention less fat being used being good for your diet and health.

Never heard of one catching fire but I guess if you turned it up too high and for too long whatever was cooking could combust, but that would be the fault of the user not the machine, same as chip pan fires.

Cooked a pork pie and scotch eggs in mine last week :D
20240122_120944.jpg
20240312_133438~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hotrodder

Nice chips

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

Pages of links when Googling "Air fryers catching fire". First UK one was https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/24815472/ ... e-warning/
Another article was: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/s ... d-28952690
Loads of others from UK and Canada listing literally millions of recalls of brands such as Insignia, Cosori, Empower, Secura, Tower, & Ninja. Only certain models of these brands have been involved and one appliance safety organisation says: "Evidence suggests that it is possible that Air Fryers, like other countertop appliances, could overheat and start a fire just by being plugged into an electrical outlet."
Since pretty much everything we buy today is made in China, regardless of brand, I am playing it safe when it comes to wonderful new products that propose to make my life more complete. I shall wait a while until the dust settles and unforseen problems are resolved. (Rather like the rush to buy electric cars thinking it will somehow save the planet). :roll: