French cuisine.

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
exile

Re: French cuisine.

#11 Post by exile »

Of course I forgot to add choucroute to my list above. So now te question, given my list includes a number of Alsatian and Savoyard dishes, can these truly be considered as French cuisine?

Bayleaf

#12 Post by Bayleaf »

basquesteve wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:59 pm PS not French but have you ever tried a right handed Haggis

You can differentiate between a male Highland Haggis and a female Highland Haggis by the direction in which they run around the hills. Male Haggis run clockwise (left legs longer than right legs) whilst females run anti-clockwise (right legs longer than left

Tis bliss
Well, I've learnt something already this week - never knew there were left AND right-handed haggis! That must make mating season an absolute hoot! Or should I say HootNanny! :lol:

As for French cuisine, just because we live in France, not bothered really. Been there, tried it, moved on! We have enjoyed foie gras before - bit pricey for our budget these days. Always pick up a tin or two of confit du canard when on promo, and then we roast them in the fat until crispy, usually with a yummy sticky sauce, sautés and haricot verts - sometimes we make Chinese style duck pancakes (our usual choice of Christmas meal, as it's more fun than a roast). Am also partial to the French tarts though, cough cough! Especially the fruity ones! :D

exile

#13 Post by exile »

Thinking beyond my question that I posed last night about whether Alsatian or Savoyard food was French, are things such as snails and frogs legs quintessentially French food?

Yes sure it is often what people think of but if you go into a French restaurant how often will you see these items on the menu? From time to time yes but not on every menu.

Compare that with the British staples of roast beef dinner or fish and chips. Most non-specific* British restaurants will have one or the other or even both on their standard menu.

*By non-specific I mean things Indian, Thai, Vegan even McD's etc..

Richard

#14 Post by Richard »

exile wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:00 am given my list includes a number of Alsatian and Savoyard dishes, can these truly be considered as French cuisine?
I think they can because they are both influenced by history and geography.
Most cuisines are influenced by either neighbouring countries, immigration or other factors.
Fish and Chips is regarded as a British dish but the idea of deep frying fresh fish in batter came from Jewish immigrants who originated from the Iberian peninsula.

Sparkle

#15 Post by Sparkle »

My favourite french dish is anything that is duck but not foie gras. I used to enjoy steak & frites which are wedges with the skin on at a restaurant we used to visit until covid arrived and the restaurant closed. It has reopened but we've not been back as of yet - they know me cos I always want my steak 'noir' which never arrived noir as the chef just couldn't bring himself to do so bless him but at least it did arrive well done :D Anything fish as long as there's no head or tail attached :lol: I was a pescatarian until arriving in France and didn't want the head or tail attached then either. When we first arrived I didn't feel that I could tell the French neighbours that I was a pescatarian when they'd generously invited us for dinner and invitations to the fetes and especially the Christmas Eve meal. It intrigued them that we'd never eaten oysters which caused a great deal of fun as they counted down to me swallowing one which was OK and when I was asked what I thought of it I said it tasted like a fresh fish shop smells - of the sea so that pleased them and I had to have another and another :lol:
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

MAD87

#16 Post by MAD87 »

We don't eat Irish/British foods, except OH has (French) bacon & egg on Sunday and I have been known to buy Heinz baked beans when I see them.
I don't eat cuisses de grenouilles or snails (I've tried both) or andouilles, although I love boudin noir. Cassoulet is one of my favourite dishes!