Yoghurt making question

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
niemeyjt

Yoghurt making question

#1 Post by niemeyjt »

I bought a yoghurt maker in a recent promo as I tend to go through quite a lot of shop-bought ones and thought I would give it a try.

The first batch has turned out well - Full cream UHT + a Nestle LC1 probiotic given 12 hours heat (I like it thick!).

Anyway - a question for seasoned yoghurt makers - how often do you buy a new starter yoghurt as opposed to starting the next batch off with one of the previous batch? Or don't you?

Blaze

Yoghurt making question

#2 Post by Blaze »

Mother in law used to reckon on 3 batches before it stopped working, but that was years ago when people talked about "live" yoghurt. I think in those days it was recommended to use semi-skimmed or canned milk. I didn't like it, it looked like junket or blancmange !!
I'm sure things have changed and you can make much tastier yoghurt today - and I much prefer thick and creamy ones.

Polarengineer

Yoghurt making question

#3 Post by Polarengineer »

I did the same as you N. I made one batch that could just be called yoghurt, but after that the next six tries all died. Stuffed the machine to the back of the cupboard. Anyone want one?

niemeyjt

Yoghurt making question

#4 Post by niemeyjt »

Well, my yoghurt maker is working well - and I decided to get a fresh pot each time and mix with 1 litre of UHT full cream for seven mini-pots - and 12 hours heating to make it nice and thick.

Anyway, by mistake I grabbed a "slightly sweetened" yoghurt instead of "unsweetened". I reconned that by the time it was diluted with milk any sugar would be undiscernible.

Wrong! The yoghurt was much more acidic tasting. I am not sure if this is the effect of the sugar or whether they use a different microbe to make the base. Thoughts?

Mangetout

Yoghurt making question

#5 Post by Mangetout »

To answer the original question, I tend to buy a new probiotic starter yogurt every 4 weeks or so. I buy a pack of four for around 1 euro.