Lambig & stuff

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
L Austin France

Lambig & stuff

#1 Post by L Austin France »

I thought I'd have a change from my usual apero of single malt scotch so had a ferret through our 'booze cupboard'.
In the cupboard, amongst other things, I found 15 large bottles of Lambig & 5 large bocaux of 'Lambig & It'.
At the mo. I'm savouring a very fine 2010 vintage Lambig au Prunells which is going down a treat with some French Pirato's aka Pringles.
Ain't life grand. :D

Char
Site Admin

Lambig & stuff

#2 Post by Char »

L Austin France wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:38 pm Ain't life grand.
Yes - enjoy :D

MAD87

Lambig & stuff

#3 Post by MAD87 »

15 bottles!! I'm on my way!

Pathca

Lambig & stuff

#4 Post by Pathca »

I hadn’t heard of it before but it sounds nice,something to try

L Austin France

Lambig & stuff

#5 Post by L Austin France »

Pathca wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:50 pm I hadn’t heard of it before but it sounds nice,something to try
It's a Breton distilation of cider similar to Calvados in Normandy. It's normally cut to 45% or 45 degrees as they say here & aged in oak casks. Pure Lambig at 100 deg was used as an antiseptic by country folk but difficult to get now due to strenuous checking by the customs & form filling by the distillers who in our area travel around with wood fired stills collecting cyder for distilling. 200 litres of cider gives about 20 litres of Lambig.
Licences to get cider distilled were family things where cider orchards existed & handed down, but now getting fewer as folk die off & licences are lost. Our neighbour had a licence as did several of my old Boules pals, hence our stock, but his licence died with him as his son had no interest. Lots of the older generation have huge stocks dating back yonks & worth rooting out.

Blaze

Lambig & stuff

#6 Post by Blaze »

Sounds delicious - enjoy it while you can !

L Austin France

Lambig & stuff

#7 Post by L Austin France »

Just remembered :-
There are lots of home made illicit stills in existance ranging from a simple adapted pressure cooker to highly sophisticated jobs.
Bloke up the road has a cracker he inherited from his cafe owning old man who used it to provide Lambig for his bar :) . Sadly his death was the end of his use of it but it still exists so, maybe I'll call in to see if it's 'available'

rabbit

Lambig & stuff

#8 Post by rabbit »

It is good for cleaning alloy wheels

Sparkle

Lambig & stuff

#9 Post by Sparkle »

@rabbit good grief 🙀 surely you can find a cheaper option for cleaning alloys :lol: I love cidre. We have this place just up the road from us http://www.museeducidre53.fr and this one just down the road from us https://www.orne-achats.fr/lesmartellieres and this is my favourite tipple from Les Martellieres Le Poirissimo it's lovely and doesn't knock me off my shelf quite as much as Calva which is a bit too strong a taste for me :lol:
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Polarengineer

Lambig & stuff

#10 Post by Polarengineer »

Norway is famous for home stills which often burst into flame and burn the house down, they then blame it on the coffee machine left on overnight. Larf a minit init.