Wine Time (Apologies to @hughnique)

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
Sparkle

#11 Post by Sparkle »

@Oldblueraincoat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: so true :lol:
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Sparkle

#12 Post by Sparkle »

For me, Pinot Noir or Madiran. Chateau de Montgueret - Saumur. Gratien Meyer - Saumur. Couvent des Visitandines - Cremant de Bougogne. Philippe Deval - Saumur Brut and very now and again :lol: Champagne Lanson Black Label. Mercier or Tsarine - I'm so pleased dry Jan is long gone :lol:
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Blaze

#13 Post by Blaze »

We lived near Saumur for 18 years so got to know the wines of the region pretty well. We liked Veuve Amiot's mousseux though we didn't actually try it for a long time. We were fortunate to have friends with vineyards and their Coteau de Saumur was to die for. It's a sweet apéro wine which is not generally seen in the shops as it tends to be kept for "family". Chenin blanc (obligatory for Saumur whites) can have a resiny taste which I don't like, but we have had one or two superb bottles, again, at a price.

I'm mainly a white drinker, Menetou Salon, Quincy though they vary hugely, and some Chardonnays (I don't like the over-oaked ones). I'm very partial to a nice Graves like Carbonnieux but it isn't cheap ....
OH prefers red but I will join him if he has a nice meaty Bordeaux on the go.
Generally we prefer quality to quantity ...

rabbit

#14 Post by rabbit »

Quiksilver wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:13 pm My all-time favourite dry-but-fruity white is Colombelle (Côtes de Gascogne) from Plaimont. Although it's classed as a primeur, it stays good for a year, which is as long as I need it to :D I did a little blind tasting of 5 Côte de Gascogne whites, just to see whether marketing was having a subconscious effect, but no. It was by far the best of the bunch.
”en primeur” means buying wine direct from the producer before it is bottled with delivery being made later. It has no bearing on the keeping quality of the wine.

Quiksilver

#15 Post by Quiksilver »

Not in the sense in which I used the term. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin_primeur or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouveau if you don't read French ;)

manonthemoon2

#16 Post by manonthemoon2 »

Prosecco is my tipple, or Cremant de Alsace, but anything Brut & fizzy.

I don't really like French reds, I like Shiraz, Zinfandel or Valpollicelli..... all a rare treat as they're pricey in France.

I like very dry white wines but the ones I look at don't say whether they're sweet or dry.

Can anyone recommend some?

demi

#17 Post by demi »

Oi is avin a wunnerful 785 time scovering woines of the Loire. :crazy: :D :lol:

Blaze

#18 Post by Blaze »

@demi Glad you're having fun :crazy: :crazy: :lol:

Quiksilver

#19 Post by Quiksilver »

Look for 'doux' or 'moelleux' , MOTM and avoid :D Muscadet or Sauvignon-based whites are pretty dry. Chablis, Pouilly Fumé or Pouilly Fuissé if you're feeling flush! :D

Pathca

#20 Post by Pathca »

@demi sounds like you are having a good time,pleased to hear it