French quandaries

L Austin France

French quandaries

#11 Post by L Austin France »

When invited for apperos etc at a given time we are always on time, inevitably the first & are very rarely offered a drink until at least half of the invitees eventually arrive.
Will we ever learn that a given time is simply a guide with the actual arrival time discretionary & how 'late' is still considered early?

curtis

French quandaries

#12 Post by curtis »

Here it is "un quart d'heure Charantaise" . Or not.

Doug

French quandaries

#13 Post by Doug »

L Austin France wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:03 pm When invited for apperos etc at a given time we are always on time, inevitably the first & are very rarely offered a drink until at least half of the invitees eventually arrive.
Will we ever learn that a given time is simply a guide with the actual arrival time discretionary & how 'late' is still considered early?
Agree with that, French time keeping is interesting

ajm

French quandaries

#14 Post by ajm »

curtis wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:44 pm Here it is "un quart d'heure Charantaise" . Or not.
Un quart d'heure is the norm in Anjou. When in England we operated the reverse. My sister and husband always turned up late so we told them a time 15 minutes in advance so that,with a bit of luck,they would arrive at the appointed time.

Doug

French quandaries

#15 Post by Doug »

We used to do the same ajm, with our farming neighbours back in the Lot when inviting them round for a meal as they were always half an hour late.

Hotrodder

French quandaries

#16 Post by Hotrodder »

I have read about expats being invited for a meal at 7 or 8 to find the cooking hadn't even started, sat down for the meal after 9 and still noshing at 11.
Cultural difference I suspect. :roll:
Last edited by Hotrodder on Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Blaze

French quandaries

#17 Post by Blaze »

Hotrodder wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:22 pm I have read about expats being invited for a meal at 7 or 8 to find the cooking hadn't even started, sat down for the meal after 9 and still noshing at 11.
Horrors, we hate eating late, particularly if we have to get up early the next day ! We were pleasantly surprised to be invited for supper on a Sunday at 18h30 and sat down to eat at about 19h30. They're both in the hotel business so they have to work around odd times.

L Austin France

French quandaries

#18 Post by L Austin France »

Hotrodder wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:22 pm I have read about expats being invited for a meal at 7 or 8 to find the cooking hadn't even started, sat down for the meal after 9 and still noshing at 11.
Cultural difference is suspect. :roll:
Not my cup of tea when it's a large 'do' & you've only got your immediate diners to talk to & bloody tiring if you're not expecting it.
Kills my back sitting on an upright chair for hours when the meal only justifies an hour. 'The French' seem to be genetically adapted to endure hours of this whilst talking bollox. In this respect I admit to admiring my wife's ability to match 'em french word for word :lol:
I used to get Brahms and Liszt listening to local feuds being rehashed & not knowing the shared history the locals have. Tought me how to pace myself mind you.
On the other hand we went for apperos to a horsey friends house the other day & that was a delight as us three couples sat around a coffee table in comfy arm chairs grazing on nice nibbles talking stuff we were all interested in. For me small is good for these things. :)

A.N.Other

French quandaries

#19 Post by A.N.Other »

Re toilets.

Unlike parking places it's a misconception that handicapped toilets are exclusively for the use of handicapped people.
On the contrary, if unoccupied then there is no reason at all to not use them.