Non-residents - passport stamps warning

niemeyjt

#1 Post by niemeyjt »

Mrs N returned to Switzerland with me via Eurotunnel two weeks ago.

As usual now, I gave my Swiss work permit and UK passport, along with the UK passport of Mrs N, to the French passport control at Folkestone. The lady questioned whether my wife also had a Swiss permit and I said that she was just visiting and did not have a permit. At this point the lady in the French passport check should have stamped Mrs N's passport. She didn't.

Roll on two weeks, and Mrs N comes to leave via Geneva Airport and the Swiss passport control cannot find an entry stamp. Apparently many questions ensued about how she entered Schengen and what she was doing (probably not helped by her passport having all the Middle East stamps from years back). She was allowed to leave eventually - and the French got the blame!

But the bottom line is that visitors without residency permits should ensure they get their passports stamped on entry to avoid complications on exit.

Bayleaf

#2 Post by Bayleaf »

Hope Mrs N isn't travelling to Manchester - more chaos there today.

niemeyjt

#3 Post by niemeyjt »

Nope - she is following in the footsteps of Lorraine Chase and travelling via Luton Airport.

DominicBest

#4 Post by DominicBest »

Not long now until ETIAS.

RobertArthur

#5 Post by RobertArthur »

Even more chaos in The Netherlands today: almost all train services down for six hours already, perhaps after 8 p.m. a gradual restart....Train spotting difficult. Hackers United in action or others? Or just a "simple" technical failure in a computer system? Welcome in the totally interconnected ict and internet world. Never build a system with a possible single point of failure.....

Char
Site Admin

#6 Post by Char »

Son and family came over last week and when going through the passport checking, was asked if they lived in England and when they said yes, he duly stamped the passport, they didn't need to ask for it to be done.

manonthemoon2

#7 Post by manonthemoon2 »

It took my OH 1 and a 1/2 hours to get through Dieppe security control today. Also he had to fill out a form saying he hadn't come into contact with covid. They were asking for proof of vaccination and those unvaccinated had to take a LFT test.

Anyhow, a few times ago he had his passport stamped even after showing his CdS.

Sometimes they just don't know what they're doing.

L Austin France

#8 Post by L Austin France »

My wife is returning tonight from a UK visit accompanied by a youngish granddaughter who's staying for a week or so.
On the outward journey to UK my wife was asked for her CdS, which she'd forgotten to take with her, & had her PP stamped . I've sent her a photo of her CdS for her to show anyone who's interested & she's downloaded GD's UK covid vaccines to the French TousantiCovid site.
Gonna be interesting to hear how she gets on. :lol:

DaveW

#9 Post by DaveW »

Who stamped her passport - UK or France?

manonthemoon2

#10 Post by manonthemoon2 »

DaveW wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:17 pm Who stamped her passport - UK or France?
In the case of my husband it was here, in France