Habitation Tax

Hotrodder

Habitation Tax

#1 Post by Hotrodder »

There were some rumours about this being discontinued a while back. Any news about this?
OH has just had a demand for it related to her abandoned house down south. The tax office, having granted a "degrevement" previously are now wanting the money. Is it possible that is it payable even for a house that is "in a state"? The Mairie is totally unhelpful. Anglais hater.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Char
Site Admin

Habitation Tax

#2 Post by Char »

It's for main residences only and depends on your income and the number of people living in the house here's a link to the info;
https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/part ... habitation

If a house is inhabitable you may be able to get a dégrèvement but I think you have to ask the Maire of the commune. I'll see if I can find some info online for you after lunch.

Char
Site Admin

Habitation Tax

#3 Post by Char »

The following link https://www.french-property.com/guides/ ... erty-taxes scroll down to '9.1.3. Exempted Properties' should give you the information you need - I'd send it back to them with a letter explaining that the property hasn't been lived in for xxx years and is uninhabitable. You might need at some stage to get a declaration from the Maire, but as he's not helpful try dealing with the fisc directly in the first instance.
Good luck.

Hotrodder

Habitation Tax

#4 Post by Hotrodder »

She has done exactly what you suggest but they're not having any of it. There has been a degrevement up until this year. We sent a copy of that with her first response to the bill. Being in such a state, no one is living there and hasn't been anyone there for a number of years. The Maire is unresponsive and unwilling to get involved. Even told them she was prepared to donate it to the commune but another stone wall.

Such a shame we are the type that tries to keep legal, pay taxes, be insured, etc. otherwise she could have just moved in with me up north and disappeared off the radar.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Doug

Habitation Tax

#5 Post by Doug »

We had a property in the Lot, bought as an investment as the letting income was more than interest on said money.
It was vacated and left in a deployable state so we put it on the market having moved over to Dordogneshire.
Took years to sell but they accepted that it was empty, for sell and charged no tax d'habitation.

Hotrodder

Habitation Tax

#6 Post by Hotrodder »

Who did you have to convince to get let off the hook?

Doug

Habitation Tax

#7 Post by Doug »

Hotrodder wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:05 am Who did you have to convince to get let off the hook?
Just entered it on the tax form every year.

Nomoss

Habitation Tax

#8 Post by Nomoss »

It took 2 years to sell our last house after we moved.
I asked the Mairie to certify that the house was empty of furniture and effects, they sent someone round to look inside and sent a letter certifying this a couple of days later.
I sent the letter to the tax office address on the advice for the Td'H and we were not charged for the next two years, after which the house was sold. I don't know if there is a time limit for exoneration, but you may need to renew the certificate periodically.

If you search "demande d'exonération taxe d'habitation maison vide" there is plenty of advice abvailable, including model letters.
If your Mairie is uncooperative, there are other ways to prove the house is unoccupied.
e.g
Photos ;
Facture de l'entreprise de déménagement (transports, montage des meubles, etc.) ;
Facture électricité / de gaz pour montrer l'absence de consommation ;
Constat établi par un huissier ;
Annonce immobilière (pour les biens mis en vente / en location).

Hotrodder

Habitation Tax

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

Nomoss wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:59 pm It took 2 years to sell our last house after we moved.
I asked the Mairie to certify that the house was empty of furniture and effects, they sent someone round to look inside and sent a letter certifying this a couple of days later.
I sent the letter to the tax office address on the advice for the Td'H and we were not charged for the next two years, after which the house was sold. I don't know if there is a time limit for exoneration, but you may need to renew the certificate periodically.

If you search "demande d'exonération taxe d'habitation maison vide" there is plenty of advice abvailable, including model letters.
Thankyou. Will have a look.
If your Mairie is uncooperative, there are other ways to prove the house is unoccupied.
e.g
Photos ;
Will probably have to try that.
Facture de l'entreprise de déménagement (transports, montage des meubles, etc.) ;
We moved furniture and personal items ourselves so no factures are available.
Facture électricité / de gaz pour montrer l'absence de consommation ;
That's possibility. Water and electricity were disconnected years ago.
Constat établi par un huissier ;
:( Costly
Annonce immobilière (pour les biens mis en vente / en location).
It's not up for sale due to inheritance problem. Already tried to give it to the commune, gratis.