Applying for French Nationality

Spardo

Re: Applying for French Nationality

#11 Post by Spardo »

It was the documents that put me off, but I regret it now. I first enquired back in 2000 when in the sub-prefecture on another matter and, by chance, happened upon the lady in there that was in charge of all that. No need to even go to Perigueux in those days, never mind Bordeaux. Instead of merely giving me the application form that I had asked for, she took me through to another office and gave me a full blown interview there and then for an hour. She was very impressed at our long time membership of the of the petanque club, the tea dances and of course the fact that I was in full time employment. She waved away my reservations about my command of French (it was better then than it is now) and finished by giving me the list of all the documents going back almost 100 years. That did it for me, I thought why bother, I am living and working here for ever now with an EU citizen's right to do so.

What could possibly go wrong? :? :o :evil:

Bearing in mind that last sentence, I would never give up my British citizenship though.

rsm

#12 Post by rsm »

Doug wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:46 am

Thats Nouvelle Aqitaine, the woman who interviewed us in Bordeaux said that they were at that time inundated with applicants and had been interviewing English for over a year, expect its calmed down now.
Ok mine was marseilles, must have more staff or something!😃

Char
Site Admin

#13 Post by Char »

I can't speak French well enough to even think of doing this. :(

I read French, I can understand most of what's said to me but I can't speak the language coherently.

I need more practise but I'm so painfully shy that I can't just strike up a conversation with someone in English let alone try to do so in French. :roll:

Spardo

#14 Post by Spardo »

Char wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:14 pm

I read French, I can understand most of what's said to me but I can't speak the language coherently.
I am the opposite now, fast enough comprehension is my bugbear, it might be to do with failing hearing, not sure.
I need more practise but I'm so painfully shy that I can't just strike up a conversation with someone in English let alone try to do so in French. :roll:
And I thought it was your husband and me hogging the conversation that day in Limoges. :roll: :lol:

Char
Site Admin

#15 Post by Char »

:D You two seemed to getting alone like a house on fire - I was quite happy listening to you both. 8-)

Spardo

#16 Post by Spardo »

Char wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:46 am :D You two seemed to getting alone like a house on fire - I was quite happy listening to you both. 8-)
:lol: :lol:

Spardo

#17 Post by Spardo »

I have turned again (first enquired back in 1999) to the subject of French citizenship. I have looked at the info available and it seems to me that some requirements have changed, no longer the need to provide parental and grandparental documentation, only personal ie. birth certificates translated into French.
Can this be so? It was one of the reasons why I was put off before, 100+ year old documents seemed beyond my capabilities, or pocket.

Also, although I took and passed the language test and was then told that it wasn’t needed for over 60s, as my certificate is now out of date and the rules have changed I will have to do it again. Trouble is my comprehension is worse, possibly due to failing hearing, but I think I could scrape by. But, most of those I know who have naturalised are couples and, as there is no chance of my wife passing the language test, how will that effect us? Would she have some rights on the back of my own citizenship?

curtis

#18 Post by curtis »

I really think that I must revisit this again; My wife is french and I believe the application is less onerous.

MAD87

#19 Post by MAD87 »

How long it takes depends greatly (bigly?) on the route taken - ours took a year via ascendance. BIL took the same time through marriage. Our older daughter, who had her interview today (a few weeks after submitting the bundle) expects to hear before Christmas - fast-track for soignants.

Doug

#20 Post by Doug »

Yes things have changed and speeded up.
Have said that in all ours took 4 years from the first papers being sent to Bordeaux. It being for both of us our second marriage, this time here in france, collating the etat civil was a long and complicated.
But its apart from getting married its the best thing we have done.
So good to hear that its not so complicated now.