Old boats

:camera: The place to share your photos as well as exchanging ideas, information, and discuss software and equipment
RobertArthur

Re: Old boats

#11 Post by RobertArthur »

Oldblueraincoat

#12 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

IMG_20210405_100043_316_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_4250-01-01_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
Attachment-1 (31)_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blaze

#13 Post by Blaze »

[mention]Oldblueraincoat[/mention] Nice sepia effect on that first one and you've got the autumn leaves in the third one !

Spardo

#14 Post by Spardo »

I like that picture of the canal barge. I assume it is the tractive unit of the barge world, a pusher by the looks of those sturdy posts at the bow.

Oldblueraincoat

#15 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

IMG_2649_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_3733_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
1ADEC (2)_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobertArthur

#16 Post by RobertArthur »

RobertArthur

#17 Post by RobertArthur »

@ OBR, many of these canals in France have been constructed under the "Ancien Régime". An incredible amount of work and also many locks. In the Canal du Nivernais there are 110 écluses:

In the Canal Saint-Martin (1825) in Paris also a nice one:

Blaze

#18 Post by Blaze »

Nice photos from [mention]Oldblueraincoat[/mention] and [mention]RobertArthur[/mention]
I took a fin-keeled yacht down the Garonne through the Canal du Midi to the Mediterranean many years ago with a couple of friends. The boat's draught was just under the depth of the canal (about 2m) so is was a little tricky at times. Most of the locks were manned on one side and we did the other. It was magical and I'd love to do it again .... I didn't have a good camera at the time and unfortunately took slides ....

RobertArthur

#19 Post by RobertArthur »

Blaze, the closest to doing it again is this trip from Amsterdam to 50 km south of Lyon. No subtitling available I'm afraid, just relax and listen to the birds.

Special ship, a so called "Spits", translation from Wikipedia:

" The Spits is a cargo ship whose dimensions are derived from the dimensions of the locks and canals in France. The French name is péniche. These dimensions of the canals were laid down in 1879 by minister of public works Charles de Freycinet. The lock chambers had to be at least 5.20 metres wide and 40 metres long. The minimum water depth is 2.20 metres and the maximum vertical clearance is 3.50 metres. A spits can carry a maximum of about 300 to 400 tonnes and has a maximum draught of 2.50 metres on average. Own weight is around 80 tonnes. Many ships of the Spits-class are 38.50 metres long and 5.05 metres wide. These measurements of a Spits correspond to CEMT-class."

rockfish

#20 Post by rockfish »

No wheel, a bow thruster and radar? Must have been hard up to do that trip. The Nederlanders don't like the bends on the French canals , they can't sleep all day on auto-pilot, and the narrow locks oh dear.