Monitor Calibration

:camera: The place to share your photos as well as exchanging ideas, information, and discuss software and equipment
niemeyjt

Monitor Calibration

#1 Post by niemeyjt »

Have any of you keen photographers done calibration of your computer monitors?

What did you use?

TIA

J

Blaze

Re: Monitor Calibration

#2 Post by Blaze »

I'm a keen photographer but not quite sure what you mean by monitor calibration !

niemeyjt

#3 Post by niemeyjt »

Basically, it is making sure the monitor displays the colours accurately.

It involves a computer running a program to send certain colours to the screen - then an external sensor recording the colour actually displayed.

The computer then calculates the differences and makes adjustments to the settings for that monitor - most modern OSs allow higher-end monitors to be individually adjusted.

I have just upgraded my screens and it is very noticeable.

For a more detailed explanation: https://clarkvision.com/articles/calibr ... r.monitor/

Blaze

#4 Post by Blaze »

I'm a Mac user and have never had to do anything, and on my new screen, all I change is the luminosity of the screen itself. I appreciate that when I post a photo, others may not see the same colours I do !

niemeyjt

#5 Post by niemeyjt »

A Mac screen can be "off" as can any other makers - but if you have only the one then it is not a big issue really. My problem is that I have a multi-display system and the monitors are all out with one another.

Besides, even if you do calibrate your monitor, unless the viewer also has a calibrated monitor then they will see something different anyhow!

Blaze

#6 Post by Blaze »

:shock:
I can see the problem if you are running more than one monitor at a time !
Quite apart from what a machine displays, we don't all see colours in the same way anyway. Complicated aren't we ?! :D

Char
Site Admin

#7 Post by Char »

I calibrated my old computer when I was involved in photography forums, and it was also essential for getting decent prints of photos - but I haven't calibrated this one.

I can't remember what I used - but will have a look when OH fires up the one he uses (he's got my old one) and see if the programme is still on it.

elsie

#8 Post by elsie »

When I used t ocalibrate screens, I used a Spyder Monitor calibrator. See also https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/b ... alibrators
It is possible to buy used devices on eBay

DaveW

#9 Post by DaveW »

I’ve been using a new iPad Pro with keyboard over the last few weeks and am quite amazed at the quality of the pictures on this site. I’ve compared my windows laptop and desktop plus OH’s iPad and they come nowhere near the quality, it’s quite gobsmacking.

niemeyjt

#10 Post by niemeyjt »

elsie wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:43 pmWhen I used t ocalibrate screens, I used a Spyder Monitor calibrator. See also https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/b ... alibrators
It is possible to buy used devices on eBay
Interesting link - yesterday I ordered the Datacolor Spyder X PRO - which seems to be recommended.