Any railway modellers out there?

A new section for discussion and displays of your favourite ways to relax or maybe energize yourselves.
Avidreader

#21 Post by Avidreader »

Have you looked at Vectis Auctions? They are in Thornaby-on-Tees, UK

exile

#22 Post by exile »

exile wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:18 pm
Sparkle wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:17 pm If you know anyone with a subscription to a UK model railway mag then there maybe some useful contacts listed?
I think that might be me @Sparkle - original reply to @Antonia applies.

As to auctions, there are a few places that have regular model railway/toy auctions.
Special Auction Services have an annual Trains Galore auction but this tends to be collectable = expensive items. In between times they have 2 or 3 actions of less valuable items.
Vectis - vectis.co.uk - have monthly auctions of model railway items more of the sort that Antonia describes.

The problem with auctions is that they apply a buyers' premium of 15-20%, so the buyer pays that amount on top of the hammer price. This has a habit of depressing the sales price, On top, a sellers' premium is also applied which means that while the hammer price might be £100, the seller receives perhaps £90.
I am beginning to wonder if my posts are somehow deleted for every one but me. :D

Sparkle

#23 Post by Sparkle »

@exile as you've now pulled me up twice all I can do is apologise twice! :o However, the links in your 1st response to Antonia where not the magazines I was thinking of which is why I posted. So now apologies for a third time :D
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

exile

#24 Post by exile »

No worries @Sparkle. I did put a smilie after the second set of quotes. To be fair to you I did not link to any magazines but rather to the companies that advertise therein that will buy second hand collections.

exile

#25 Post by exile »

tagh wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:22 pm Were I younger, exile, I would love to indulge my taste for miniaturisation, particularly railways, but anno dominae forbids.
It took the OH about 16 months to produce that layout - albeit with some help from me. Over time it has been titivated and improved since and it is true that a layout is never really finished.

Loco Revue offer a complete layout from the baseboard up - Train'in Box. Currently the offer is quite limited but earlier that was a range of offerings. These can be built and up and running in just a few weeks.

Polarengineer

#26 Post by Polarengineer »

This thread brings back memories of my merchant navy time when the chief engineer declared he was a model train enthusiast and ordered me to make the frame plates for his project loco. It was difficult when deep sea to tell the chief to get lost. I most certainly did.

Hotrodder

#27 Post by Hotrodder »

exile wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:18 pm
Sparkle wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:17 pm If you know anyone with a subscription to a UK model railway mag then there maybe some useful contacts listed?
I think that might be me @Sparkle - original reply to @Antonia applies.

As to auctions, there are a few places that have regular model railway/toy auctions.
Special Auction Services have an annual Trains Galore auction but this tends to be collectable = expensive items. In between times they have 2 or 3 actions of less valuable items.
Vectis - vectis.co.uk - have monthly auctions of model railway items more of the sort that Antonia describes.

The problem with auctions is that they apply a buyers' premium of 15-20%, so the buyer pays that amount on top of the hammer price. This has a habit of depressing the sales price, On top, a sellers' premium is also applied which means that while the hammer price might be £100, the seller receives perhaps £90.
I thought all auctions worked like that. Buyer cops for a fee + VAT on top, and the seller also. The real winner is the auction house.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.