Wanted !!

A new section for discussion and displays of your favourite ways to relax or maybe energize yourselves.
curtis

Wanted !!

#1 Post by curtis »

I am looking for a navigator to take part in rallyes.
It can be french or english person. If not french then I would much prefer someone with at least basic french language skills.
It could be someone with experience, or a débutant.
We would be using a Triumph TR3A. Expenses to be shared. That is, entry fees, petrol and diesel (if we are towing to the event and travel together). All costs for the car are met by me.
If you are interested or know of someone then please contact me. (I am in Charente Maritime)

Spardo

Re: Wanted !!

#2 Post by Spardo »

A deafening silence, Curtis. In my case the problem is, when it comes to moving quickly I am the only one I trust to be in control. :D

Hate being driven, in anything, though I do feel a little safer in trains, but planes are a definite nono although I would love to pilot myself. I have only once ridden pillion on a motor bike, a mate gave me a lift over a very short distance on a Gold Star, he thought it would be very funny to demonstrate its alarming acceleration, it was all I could do to stop being deposited on the road. :shock:

It is not a family trait though. My late, younger, brother was a sidecar racer.......as a passenger :o I thought at the time he must have been mad.

Once had to be driven home in a mate's lorry, after being told to park mine for the weekend (and hitchhike back Monday morning). He thought it would be very funny to close his left eye (RHD) and wander a little on the road as if he had gone to sleep. After shaking him violently he pulled over and allowed me to drive the rest of the way. :lol:

Hope you get your navigator, my Dad was a very good rally driver, with many trophies to his name. :)
Last edited by Spardo on Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

curtis

#3 Post by curtis »

I have to say, Spardo, that I wasn't expecting much success, but more someone that knows someone.
Anyway, it's produced a few memories !

Char
Site Admin

#4 Post by Char »

Do you travel all over France Curtis or is it just local to you?

It sounds like fun, I wish I had the time to do something like that.

Spardo

#5 Post by Spardo »

Char wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:13 pm
It sounds like fun, I wish I had the time to do something like that.
I agree, although the high speed on rough forest tracks wouldn't appeal to me, my Dad's with the CSMA (Civil Service Motoring Association) were all on public roads but highly competitive with navigation, along with accurate timekeeping, the most important part. I never went with him but every now and then they organised a treasure hunt which was intended to involve all the families.

Clues had to be found in the scenery and linked together always ending in a nice pub with plenty of outside space to cater for us kids. Terms like 'grassy triangle' became stock jokes in our family life. :D

curtis

#6 Post by curtis »

No off road stuff, although there are sometimes some sections non goudronné.
The events are all over the place depending on how it suits. I shall shortly be in the Vosges for a two day event.
I was in the Vosges a few weeks ago but that was a course de côte , so a different car and no navigator needed.
The events are with roadbooks and maps. No "treasure hunt stuff". Sometimes with "régularité" sections.

Spardo

#7 Post by Spardo »

And presumably, no satnav? :|

curtis

#8 Post by curtis »

No aids like that.

Blaze

#9 Post by Blaze »

Sounds like fun. Years ago I "navigated" in several MCC car trials (Lands End, Exeter, Edinburgh) - not really navigating as we were given very simple directions to follow. I was the extra weight to help get up the climbs which were off-road - I'm not sure 7 1/2 stone did much good but it was great.
Who needs sat nav if you have maps and a road book !

Spardo

#10 Post by Spardo »

Blaze wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:20 pm
Who needs sat nav if you have maps and a road book !
No-one if you have a human navigator alongside, but driving alone with a moving map within easy eye-flick is better then driving with a slithering book open on your lap. ;) :lol: