Calling numismatists

A new section for discussion and displays of your favourite ways to relax or maybe energize yourselves.
Headers

Calling numismatists

#1 Post by Headers »

I have a box of old U.K. coins that my dad collected and that I inherited in 2002.
I want to get rid of them but my options are few.
1. Bury them in the garden
2. Use them to decorate some furniture
3. Find someone to buy them from me
4. Take them to the déchèterie
There are about 5 coins that are worth keeping,
The rest are old copper, old 3d bits,’silver’ coin after 1946, 1.7kg silver coin 1920-1946 which are 50% silver.
Any suggestions ?

niemeyjt

Calling numismatists

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

What about those charity coin bins at airports - will they take historic coins or only current stuff I wonder?

hughnique

Calling numismatists

#3 Post by hughnique »

Exactly the same MIL left a huge bag of shillings but nothing pre whenever they stopped putting silver in them, suppose they are totally worthless, trouble is anything with an early date on it immediately becomes valuable, in your eyes, only to find out later that its not worth a carrot.

Headers

Calling numismatists

#4 Post by Headers »

niemeyjt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:50 am What about those charity coin bins at airports - will they take historic coins or only current stuff I wonder?
Not sure but that’s a long round trip for me!

Headers

Calling numismatists

#5 Post by Headers »

hughnique wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:53 am Exactly the same MIL left a huge bag of shillings but nothing pre whenever they stopped putting silver in them, suppose they are totally worthless, trouble is anything with an early date on it immediately becomes valuable, in your eyes, only to find out later that its not worth a carrot.
pre 47 - 50% silver, pre 1920 92.5% silver

Sparkle

Calling numismatists

#6 Post by Sparkle »

@Headers This looks like a good idea? Might even try it myself :D

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/3659243 ... t&mt=login
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

niemeyjt

Calling numismatists

#7 Post by niemeyjt »

Hotrodder

Calling numismatists

#8 Post by Hotrodder »

Like any other commodity, when you are a buyer it is said to be an investment. When you are a seller you will be told the market has plummeted and your goods are worthless. :roll:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

hughnique

Calling numismatists

#9 Post by hughnique »

Hotrodder wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:11 pm Like any other commodity, when you are a buyer it is said to be an investment. When you are a seller you will be told the market has plummeted and your goods are worthless. :roll:
Totally true, I could list the items I have purchased in the past as antique investable which are now practically worthless.

elsie

Calling numismatists

#10 Post by elsie »

There are several coin dealers in the UK and France who will buy them - but possibly not pay that much.
A search for for numismatics/numismatique and your location will probably given you the names of several dealers and clubs.

Many years ago, I used to buy Commonwealth coins for French collector at Collectors World https://www.collectorsworld-nottingham.com They still seem to be active in Nottingham and on eBay. It is possibly worth contacting them as they always seemed helpful.