Selling a UK Rental Property

A place for members to post any items they want to sell
hughnique

#11 Post by hughnique »

Are your tenants actually out of the house or still in situ as that throws a spanner in the works if they decide to stay put.

niemeyjt

#12 Post by niemeyjt »

Hotrodder wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:04 pmI would never consider buying to let. I have been involved with too many renovations to sort out wanton destruction and neglect by tenants after the long legal battle to get the non-paying cretins evicted.
I guess it depends on your target clientele.

As I said above, a guarantor can avoid some of the issues.

Veem

#13 Post by Veem »

hughnique wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:12 pm Are your tenants actually out of the house or still in situ as that throws a spanner in the works if they decide to stay put.
They are still in the house and in the process of moving out. I gather they have had their names on some housing list and have finally come to the top.

hughnique

#14 Post by hughnique »

Lets hope you are right, we recently had a situation where tenants in my wife's cousins bungalow, stopped paying the rent, were going to move out, but were then told by the local council housing mob that if they did leave they would be deemed as having made themselves homeless. Subsequently they would not be given a council place, many months later, with no rental income legal costs and all the rest of it they upped sticks and slung their hooks, no notification, house in Worthing, cousin in Margate, her brother in Leicester, so not just round the corner. As has been said, get shot of it, a huge weight off your shoulders.

Quiksilver

#15 Post by Quiksilver »

Hotrodder wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:04 pm I would never consider buying to let. I have been involved with too many renovations to sort out wanton destruction and neglect by tenants after the long legal battle to get the non-paying cretins evicted. 8-)
That's a bit harsh. We let out our former home in UK because, after a succession of broken chains and the chute of the housing market, it was the only option left. After a couple of false starts (largely due to the letting agent's ineptitude), we got very good tenants. We came to a mutually satisfactory arrangement whereby we ditched the agent and they did all the minor maintenance, not to mention improvements. We paid for the materials. That arrangement worked well for 12 years. Thanks to the complications caused by Brexit, everything from finance to travel to our new French status as migrants, it was time to sell, but overall it wasn't a bad experience.

hughnique

#16 Post by hughnique »

You are lucky if you get a good un, my son rents a place in Kent, landlord has to be squeezed to even meet his legal requirements, over £900 a month for a poorly converted 1st floor one bed flat.

Quiksilver

#17 Post by Quiksilver »

We specified to the agent that we were quite happy to forego a high rent in favour of correct tenants. In the long run, it's less hassle and expense :D

L Austin France

#18 Post by L Austin France »

I've had my old offices/stores building let out since I sold the company about 20 years ago.
The building has been occupied by the same health care services company ,who use it as their head office, for about 18 years & are such brilliant tenants that I reduced the initial 5 year agreement rental on it's expiry & have maintained the same rent since then with a verbal agreement to maintain this rent when the current lease expires.
This arrangement suits us both as I realise times are tough for businesses & they reciprocate by realising I don't want hassle when living at distance from the property.
I sold our last residential letting property after the tenants turned into a drop in drug centre & had to be convinced it was time to leave & never regretted investing in commercial property with less demanding tenants.