Donkey to companion my donkey

Polarengineer

#1 Post by Polarengineer »

A really good home in limousin where I usually have retired horses. Since my recent loss of a very nice mare, the donkey has gone into sulks, so I really need a companion for him. Anyone know of an unwanted donkey? or someone short of grass and needs to move the donkey on?

manonthemoon2

#2 Post by manonthemoon2 »

I could ask my farming neighbour, his poor donkey is all alone and it breaks my heart when he Eeeores

Polarengineer

#3 Post by Polarengineer »

Please do, my lad is not alone as I have this bloody great white bourgoneuse horse with him, but the donkey has definitely been sad since the other horse died.

Veem

#4 Post by Veem »

I have a Brit friend who runs an amazing equine rescue place near me. She has donkeys that she's taken in and will be looking to find new homes for. Look for 'Alloue Equine Rescue' on FB.

manonthemoon2

#5 Post by manonthemoon2 »

Polarengineer wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:51 pm Please do, my lad is not alone as I have this bloody great white bourgoneuse horse with him, but the donkey has definitely been sad since the other horse died.
If I can broach the subject I will ask. I have told his nephew another neighbour many times, that the donkey should have a companion.

Polarengineer

#6 Post by Polarengineer »

Thanks for that Veem, I'll get my daughter to look it up, as she is the only facebook user in our lot.
Also, Motm2, I know how difficult it is to broach the subject when they may have personal attachments to the animal that supercede the animal's welfare.

Polarengineer

#7 Post by Polarengineer »

It appears that the FB site has a pair of donkeys available and I am trying to arrange a visit at the moment. Great stuff Veem.

Coldonat

#8 Post by Coldonat »

We have a couple, Mum and her son (he was six weeks old when we took them on) that we’ve had for about 20 years, but my wife will be 80 and I’ll be 84 early next year, so I think we are going to have to move them on. We are torn between our affection for them and the exercise they ‘force’ on us, and the benefits that that exercise gives us. I was under the surgeon’s knife about three years ago, and the legacy of that and this exhausting heatwave have made things difficult.

Polarengineer

#9 Post by Polarengineer »

Any photos Coldonat?

Coldonat

#10 Post by Coldonat »

I'll dig a couple out.

One that I didn't take and wish I had was when we went to get them, mid January. I'd borrowed a horse box and on the way home I had to stop for some fuel. We'd put Mum (Moka) in the box, and son (Pickle, the name says it all) I had picked up and put him in the back of our Laguna. As I was filling up, a car pulled into the other side of the pump, and the look on the face of the passenger was something to behold! "There's a donkey staring at me in the back of that car!" He stood up all the way through a 40km journey, jammed between the back seat and the back of the car, standing on an old towel, and all he did was a minuscule pee. He didn't panic, and calmly let me pick him up out of the car and put him down when we got home as if nothing had happened. He's a big boy now and could probably pick me up.