Sony CD player

Hotrodder

Sony CD player

#1 Post by Hotrodder »

More specifically, a Sony CDP-CX350. Also known as a Sony Mega Storage.
It is a large player that stores and plays 300 CDs.

Looking for a non-working one to cannibalise for parts.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Hotrodder

Sony CD player

#2 Post by Hotrodder »

Still looking
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Trelawney

Sony CD player

#3 Post by Trelawney »

Just to break the suspense I thought I would offer the fact that I don’t have; but I think I would like to own one. I can see the attraction when I look at the immense rack of cds that, mainly, my wife has collected.

Bayleaf

Sony CD player

#4 Post by Bayleaf »

Quite a specific request then! :lol: :)

RobertArthur

Sony CD player

#5 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Hotrodder, nothing new, a needle in a haystack. I saw a Sony CDP-CX235 - 200 CD, in working condition, for about € 200, already sold. I'm afraid that most of the non-working players ended somewhere in a déchetterie.

Hotrodder

Sony CD player

#6 Post by Hotrodder »

Sad but true. There are any number of them for sale on ebay USA being sold for parts for around £100+ but costing more than that for shipping, plus Fknows how much for French import duty. I even tried to ask one seller if he would remove the part I needed and send that only and keep the rest of the unit to re-list. At least that would have kept the shipping cost down but no. Couldn't be "r"sed. I got my first one for £75 and collectied it from Southampton, and after filling it up bought a second for £120 plus about £30 shipping to France (before Brexit, so no duty). I just looked on ebay and at the moment you're looking at between £300 and over a thousand for a good one this side of the Atlantic. They're oh-so-convenient and they solve the problem of fiddling with popping them out of the cases one by one to play. I have all the empty cases stored in the loft and just switch on the amp and select a CD or a playlist and away you go. I'm keen on good honest hifi sound out of intimidating speakers. Streaming "compressed" anemic sound over a damned smartphone and having to pay a subscription just doesn't rock my boat.

Hotrodder

Sony CD player

#7 Post by Hotrodder »

RobertArthur wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:10 pm @ Hotrodder, nothing new, a needle in a haystack. I saw a Sony CDP-CX235 - 200 CD, in working condition, for about € 200, already sold. I'm afraid that most of the non-working players ended somewhere in a déchetterie.
Such a shame because all it usually takes to get one of these going again is to dust off the laser lens and treat it to a fresh set of belts costing under a tenner.

RobertArthur

Sony CD player

#8 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Hotrodder, some time ago, I was a bit younger than today, only 16 years, the telephone rang. My father answered, looking also in my direction. What's going on? Anything wrong? No, the parents of a friend of a friend of mine asked if they were allowed to let me have a look at a television set, already twice serviced by the official Philips dealer. And again after 2, 3 months giving up the will to be their loyal servant. They had replaced a defective component, but forgotten to diagnose the cause of the problem. For about 12 euros in today's money the telly kept working for many, many years.

Returning to your Sony repair: what is the defective part? Also a Sony number if possible. Perhaps to be found somewhere else in one of the EU member states, you never know. No import duties, standard transport prices.

Hotrodder

Sony CD player

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

For my Sony CDP-CX350. Only parts from this model will do. The CDP-CX355 is externally identical but the components inside are different.

I am looking for a VFD (vacuum fluorescent) display unit (Sony part #A-4724-546-AA) or a complete player as a parts donor.