The humble dandelion's fight against Covid...

:mask:
Bayleaf

#1 Post by Bayleaf »

This bizarre subject raised itself while I was busy trying to remove a dandelion plant from a potted rose for a client. She said her health therapist was spouting off about ingesting dandelion to help against effects of having Covid, recovering from Covid, and even reducing side effects from the vaccines.

Bah humbug, I thought, as I am very sceptical about her therapist, but we won't go into that now. I looked it up for myself, and it does seem real!

Here's just one link of many: https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210 ... vitro.aspx

So, not only do we need to treasure the dandelion flower, as it's one of the earliest most important flowers for the bees - now we can add a few shredded leaves to our meals ('cos let's face it - the taste is pretty eye sucking!). Alternatively, I see dandelion extract is available widely.

Food for thought?!

MAD87

#2 Post by MAD87 »

Definitely, thouugh I won't be elbowing my way to the front of the queue. I'm not keen on dandelions, though I do leave them alone.

Blaze

#3 Post by Blaze »

I always leave the dandelions because they are one of the earliest flowers for bees. Bees like crocuses too !
Dandelions seem an interesting proposition though many sites have a caveat .....may, might, could ... probably erring on the side of caution (covering their backs).
It seems they can have all sorts of positive effects and after all, mankind has always used plants and herbs so why not ? Round here they push seaweed as being THE cure-all....

Quiksilver

#4 Post by Quiksilver »

The French have been eating dandelion leaves as salad for centuries. Mainly for their diuretic properties, I believe.
If they've got anti-viral qualities too, that's useful given how many viruses we're being assailed with recently. Worth a try.... :)

niemeyjt

#5 Post by niemeyjt »

Dandelion and Burdock - both perhaps less appetising as plants - can make a nice drink.

ajm

#6 Post by ajm »

Quiksilver wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:19 am The French have been eating dandelion leaves as salad for centuries. Mainly for their diuretic properties, I believe.
If they've got anti-viral qualities too, that's useful given how many viruses we're being assailed with recently. Worth a try.... :)
they are not called pissenlit for nothing. :)

hughnique

#7 Post by hughnique »

Well tortoises love it and look how long they live.

MAD87

#8 Post by MAD87 »

Funly enuff, I saw pissenlit seeds in the rack a the supermarket this morning.

Bayleaf

#9 Post by Bayleaf »

Might be easier (and more palatable) to take dandelion extract. Or, I think you can blanche the plants, like rhubarb - keep them covered, so they're less bitter. Free food that's good for you - what's not to like! "Tastes like sh*t, but you can live on it" as Crocodile Dundee once said! :lol:

niemeyjt

#10 Post by niemeyjt »

Did you mean chicory? You cover rhubarb to force it - to make longer stems - not to change the flavour.