Covid in UK

:mask:
Pathca

Covid in UK

#11 Post by Pathca »

Patients families,and patients themselves if possible ,are consulted about the decisions in EOL care .The Liverpool pathway was good if applied properly but sadly sometimes wasn’t. The current approach is multi disciplinary involving Family/Patient if possible/ Advocates/Palliative Care/Medical/Nursing etc

Pathca

Covid in UK

#12 Post by Pathca »

As an addition if an EOL Patient is capable of eating and drinking they can but sadly they often aren’t

Char
Site Admin

Covid in UK

#13 Post by Char »

Sorry if I've upset anyone, I was just a bit confused. MiL was taken in to hospital while we were on our way back home. She was responding well to oxygen then suddenly we received a message to say they were stopping treatment and EOL was being introduced, and I wasn't sure what that meant. With my Nana donkeys years ago they just left her to drown whilst her lungs filled with liquid, and just kept doping her up with morphine, so I wondered if they still did the same now a days.
Anyhow, it appears she has Leukaemia now so heaven alone knows what's going on.

niemeyjt

Covid in UK

#14 Post by niemeyjt »

That raises the question of who, if anyone, agreed to it - unless doctors still make that call without consulting relatives.

DaveW

Covid in UK

#15 Post by DaveW »

In France Palliative care is very structured and fairly intense. The patient, family, MT, consultant, independent doctor and staff are involved and they interview family members.

The aim is to minimise suffering for the patient in,preferably a home environment,with trained nurses on call.

At the end of the day it isn’t a sweet injection and goodbye; lots of opium and no drowning, but still drawn out and unpleasant for all, particularly the patient who is well aware.

Bring on legalised euthanasia so that people can pass on with peace and no pain, and less stress and guilt for their loved ones.

Pathca

Covid in UK

#16 Post by Pathca »

Also it depends why someone needs EOL Care if they are at the end stage of a terminal illness it can be different to someone who’s just old and exhausted and different again to someone who’s had a massive stroke,with a midline shift,etc it’s not one size fits all

DaveW

Covid in UK

#17 Post by DaveW »

Agreed, but a lot is clear cut and the government can legislate and accommodate.

The trouble is the religiously inclined cannot and will fight it all the way - from birth to death.

Char
Site Admin

Covid in UK

#18 Post by Char »

Well she's gone now, she died last night bless her little cotton socks - she managed to avoid getting covid through the first couple of years of it, then went into an old people's home and caught it.

Blaze

Covid in UK

#19 Post by Blaze »

Condoleances to you both .... I hope she went peacefully and without pain ....
A couple of Ehpads here have had Covid recently though perhaps because they'd all been vaccinated they were okay. There's no doubt it's still around but hospitals have stopped asking for PCR tests though masks are still required.
Last edited by Blaze on Fri May 12, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

L Austin France

Covid in UK

#20 Post by L Austin France »

Char wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:52 am Well she's gone now, she died last night bless her little cotton socks - she managed to avoid getting covid through the first couple of years of it, then went into an old people's home and caught it.
My condolences to you & the family.