Here we go again . . . pi?

:mask:
Sparkle

#11 Post by Sparkle »

Apparently it's in the UK now as well.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/ ... k-cameroon
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Pachapapa

#12 Post by Pachapapa »

I note that Didier gets an exclusive interests statement.

ExMontpelliérain

#13 Post by ExMontpelliérain »

Incidentally, this new variant had already been reported in November when it was already being heavily outcompeted by Delta - omicron appears to be blowing it out of the water completely.
Nous sommes nos choix.

Richard

#14 Post by Richard »

ExMontpelliérain,

I have read the same.

I doesn't seem to be of great concern.

niemeyjt

#15 Post by niemeyjt »

Of course, there were also many variants between delta and omicron which did not make the news.

But in this case, I wonder if it is the number of mutations, and fear of a reduction in vaccine efficacy as a result, that is making it newsworthy?

FFS

#16 Post by FFS »

Quiksilver wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:54 pm I wonder if the dinosaurs went through something similar?

manonthemoon2

#17 Post by manonthemoon2 »

Bayleaf

#18 Post by Bayleaf »

From today's Sud Ouest:

"Covid-19 : « Omicron, une autre forme d’épidémie plutôt qu’une simple nouvelle vague », selon Karine Lacombe"

https://www.sudouest.fr/sante/coronavir ... 814000.php

Our own village declares more cases than ever. In France 464+k new cases yesterday, nearly 400 dead. So, it's just rocketing basically.

Question for those involved with the vaccination process. Are people told that they can still catch/carry the virus despite being vaccinated? Or do they think that shields them, so, throw caution to the wind, they can go forth and not even know that they may still be helping to multiply the virus without knowing it?

I know people get tired of "being careful" - but they seem to forget that it's the hospitals that will collapse under the weight of this pandemic, and then what? They'd probably quite like the odd day off or holiday even ....

Blaze

#19 Post by Blaze »

Bayleaf wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:58 am Question for those involved with the vaccination process. Are people told that they can still catch/carry the virus despite being vaccinated? Or do they think that shields them, so, throw caution to the wind, they can go forth and not even know that they may still be helping to multiply the virus without knowing it?
It has been publicised for months and months that being fully vaccinated will not necessarily stop anyone from contracting the virus but in most cases it should protect people from the worst symptoms. People are told to be aware of this, but in the end, they will listen to what they want to hear, often favouring social network chit chat to official government information.
What more can you do ? Wearing masks does protect us, but everyone has to wear one correctly or it doesn't work.

Bayleaf

#20 Post by Bayleaf »

indeed, they'll only think of themselves - not how they can transmit to others. I guess if people are packing themselves into restaurants and suchlike, where masks aren't possible, it just becomes a lottery.

Finally, being an unsociable bod who never goes out, doesn't seem such a bad idea!