France - Press Conference Tonight

:mask:
exile

#21 Post by exile »

niemeyjt wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:59 pm
exile wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:44 pmThe real reason the numbers are so high is because a lot of people are infected.
And as per my earlier post, vaccination does not prevent infection - only its severity.

I am concerned that the drive to immunise spread a false message of confidence - and some (like on the buses here!) now think "I've been triple jabbed so I'm immune and can do what I like".
Evidence does suggest however that vaccination does reduce the number of people infected but you are right, it does not prevent it.

Equally you are right that being vaccinated is making some think they are invincible.

However at some stage we do need to get to a stage where we all (or the vast majority of us) can and do behave as if the virus is of no consequence. Are we at that point? I am not sure but with Omicron we are probably not far off. The danger will be when the next variant arrives that is a little more unpleasant in its consequences - not that a few hundred dead each day is without consequence.

rabbit

#22 Post by rabbit »

niemeyjt wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:59 pm
exile wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:44 pmThe real reason the numbers are so high is because a lot of people are infected.
And as per my earlier post, vaccination does not prevent infection - only its severity.

I am concerned that the drive to immunise spread a false message of confidence - and some (like on the buses here!) now think "I've been triple jabbed so I'm immune and can do what I like".
my sons and their wives are all triple vaccinated. All 4 contracted Covid in the week before Christmas. My son said it was like the worst cold he had had +33%

Blaze

#23 Post by Blaze »

exile wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:07 pm The danger will be when the next variant arrives that is a little more unpleasant in its consequences
Exactly. In lesser developed countries where the virus is rife and there is little or no vaccine, the virus has time to mutate and could produce something far more severe. With air travel, tourism, it would only be a matter of time before such virus could hit the developed countries. It will remain to be seen whether current vaccines could cope ....
Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Bayleaf

#24 Post by Bayleaf »