Voitures Anciennes

Somewhere for all our lovers and owners of classic vehicles to chat about and discuss classic vehicles in France. Also where members can share their recent adventures in their vehicle in and out of France.
A.N.Other

Voitures Anciennes

#621 Post by A.N.Other »

DominicBest wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:03 am I think that this photo says it all. The yellow one is a first generation BMW Mini, they’ve grown even more since then.
1FD03C96-AC89-484A-AD87-D4F7B2AC0A78.png
In all but height the 'Mini' Clubman is larger than the Skoda Yeti I currently drive, it's also 50kg heavier!

https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... suv/front/

Hotrodder

Voitures Anciennes

#622 Post by Hotrodder »

DominicBest wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:34 pm A couple of weeks ago I was talking about a particular Mini Cooper S that my father had owned. They are very valuable now because so few with that engine were ever made. I started telling a friend how I wish it was still in the family but added that when my father bought it it was already rusting apart.
I can attest to your criticism of the original Mini having owned three and worked on many more. In addition they are a bitch to work on under the bonnet if your hands are any larger than a child's. There is a UK TV series about a Yorkshire car auction house. They went to collect an early Cooper S and as they were pulling it out of the garage it was clearly a total rusted mess and wouldn't even roll but at auction it made £10,000. It was purchased to get the logbook and the I.D. plate from the car to enable a rebuild using mostly new/reproduction parts. I forget what the value was said to be upon completion but a figure only a rich "collector" would pay.

I still maintain my opinion that people are less influenced by "so called" mechanical features than the visual aspect presented by a new model. Of course there will be a significant number who don't give a damn but will buy anything that gets them from A to B as long as it is grey. The Retro models are an attempt to cash in on nostalgia and to some extent have been successful, only limited by being expensive mid range models rather than entry level models that would have been accessible to tighter budgets.

Over the years Porsche spent a great deal of development to make their rear-engine design work properly to earn its place against the competition that chose to keep their engine at the proper end. They also hedged their bets for a while by dabbling with the front engined 924 and 928. I owned a couple of 924s and loved them. In comparison to the 911 range they weren't real roadburners but what a delight to drive. Best seats I have ever sat in and they corner like they're on rails. That was a car you could drive like a lunatic and it would make up for your shortcomings. Such a shame I can't afford one today. I would dare to suggest part of the appeal of the popular 911 shape is one of nostalgia, certainly today when 98% of new cars are indistinguishable clones of crumpled designs. It is laughable seeing their efforts on TV ads. Thinking people will buy them because of the excellence of their "infotainment" systems, connectivity (to the internet), and touch screen controls.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

DominicBest

Voitures Anciennes

#623 Post by DominicBest »

The correct place for the engine in a car is not at either end, it’s in the middle just like in the superior vehicle the motorbike. 🙂

RobertArthur

Voitures Anciennes

#624 Post by RobertArthur »

They''ve grown even more.....these little coopers.

RobertArthur

Voitures Anciennes

#625 Post by RobertArthur »

1936 Bugatti Type 57 Ventoux (An Automotive Treasure Rediscovered). Work to do... it is a project. A Bugatti once purchased new by a French circus director will soon be auctioned on a US auction site. The rare car not only needs a lot of love, but also a complete interior. The price is accordingly.

Hotrodder

Voitures Anciennes

#626 Post by Hotrodder »

I'm speechless.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Nomoss

Voitures Anciennes

#627 Post by Nomoss »

A bit of T-Cut and a good polish should sort it out.

When the MOT test was introduced in 1960 I was living in London. The breakers yards were overflowing, and there were innumerable old cars for sale at very low prices advertised in the papers.
I was offered a Rolls 2-seater with part aluminium and fabric body for £60 and a beautiful blue Type 37 sports for a similarly low price, but could only afford a 1930 M-type Midget for £10.

The Rolls had cable brakes, on the rear wheels only, and I thought it was a bit dangerous, and someone warned me to stay away from artillery wheels.
Last edited by Nomoss on Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotrodder

Voitures Anciennes

#628 Post by Hotrodder »

I noticed the lack of front brakes at the time and was told it was because RR wasn't ready to fit them until they were certain they had developed the best possible system. Given how much those things weigh I would have thought they would have given it top priority.
Re: your mention of the Type 37 in the junkyard reminds me...........
Mention Bugatti today and eyebrows raise. Mention Type 37 and millionaires reach for their chequebook, no matter what the condition.

DominicBest

Voitures Anciennes

#629 Post by DominicBest »

I went to look at the Tour Auto cars at the Circuit Val de Vienne yesterday. There were some beautiful cars on display and in amongst the exotica there were quite a few original Minis, a Cortina GT, a Capri and a Volvo 240. On the track the E types in particular were being driven hard. A sticker on one of the cars summed it up, Some people collect works of art, others race them.
https://www.peterauto.fr/en/events/tour-auto/

curtis

Voitures Anciennes

#630 Post by curtis »

I was there too, Dominic. An excellent day.