Still going strong.

Somewhere for all our lovers and owners of classic vehicles to chat about and discuss classic vehicles in France. Also where members can share their recent adventures in their vehicle in and out of France.
curtis

Still going strong.

#31 Post by curtis »

Perhaps it's easy to say, but should you make time for something that you will, hopefully, enjoy?

Char
Site Admin

Still going strong.

#32 Post by Char »

curtis wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:18 am Perhaps it's easy to say, but should you make time for something that you will, hopefully, enjoy?
Absolutely - life's way too short.

DominicBest

Still going strong.

#33 Post by DominicBest »

My Golf had its first timing belt replaced early at about 160,000km. It’s just about due for it’s second at twice that mileage. I’m glad that I didn’t need to do it every 8000 km or so. 🙂

Pathca

Still going strong.

#34 Post by Pathca »

Char wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:34 am
curtis wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:18 am Perhaps it's easy to say, but should you make time for something that you will, hopefully, enjoy?
Absolutely - life's way too short.
If there’s on thing life and especially the last two years has taught me it is go for it ,make sure you have time for pleasure

Hotrodder

Still going strong.

#35 Post by Hotrodder »

I have weighed up my choices. I can freeze my butt off every winter or spend every available penny on insulation. I'd love to be able to get a pro in to do stuff but I can't afford it. Now that firewood is three times what it was when I arrived and electricity and gas are soon to be luxury commodities hard choices have to be made.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Polarengineer

Still going strong.

#36 Post by Polarengineer »

Generally, myself, I enjoy doing everything I do, the trouble is that there are so many things I want to do and get done and never enough time.

basquesteve

Still going strong.

#37 Post by basquesteve »

I was a bus driver in Bristol the buses were a little old but still roadworthy after 2 million miles plus German Mercs

Antonia

Still going strong.

#38 Post by Antonia »

Still got the Renault Kangoo bought new in 1999. Despite being in the same hands she's had four license plates having originally been taken into Britain on a single vehicle approval. She's a mark one, single door version, not the mark two built for the UK. Can't tell you how many miles she's done as her original speedo had to be changed over when she was imported but is now back in place after the mph one failed ten years ago. She's had a new head gasket in the last five years and next week goes in for a new cat. Now, mostly used for taking things to the dump, she awaits becoming an official 'youngtimer'.

DominicBest

Still going strong.

#39 Post by DominicBest »

basquesteve wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:46 pm I was a bus driver in Bristol the buses were a little old but still roadworthy after 2 million miles plus German Mercs
In the 1960s it was normal for London busses to do 35,000 miles between oil changes. Constant use is so much better for an engine than short distances and regular cold starts.

niemeyjt

Still going strong.

#40 Post by niemeyjt »

I think old engines were less harsh on their oil - no turbos for example.

As an aside, I wonder how long the turbos will last on the new stop-start engines which break so many longevity rules.