St Malo closure

For anything to do with Brittany - from road closures, demonstrations and whatever
Antonia

St Malo closure

#1 Post by Antonia »

I know that St Malo is going to be closed to ferry traffic for two months early next year for repairs but a friend heard from a mate in a pub that the authorities have given permission for it to close for two years in order for the quay to be enlarged so cruise ships can dock. I can't seem to find any conformation online. Have any of you 'locals' heard anything ?

Blaze

St Malo closure

#2 Post by Blaze »

Discussions about enlarging the port have been going on and will continue into next year. It's more to do with having the space for larger freight and passenger ferries between here, the UK and the Channel Islands than accommodating large cruise ships.
Work is unlikely to start before 2024 - there are still many factors to be studied including an impact on the environment, coping with an increase in traffic/roads etc.

It's highly unlikely that ferry traffic will stop completely as companies are still trying to recover after Covid cuts.

Here's a link to the site "Ports de la Région Bretagne" with gives explanations of what they intend to do. I'm afraid it's in French and too long to translate here ....
https://ports.bretagne.bzh/decouvrir-le-projet/
Last edited by Blaze on Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertArthur

St Malo closure

#3 Post by RobertArthur »

In the French press:

A two-phase construction schedule has been drawn up. Phase 1, from 2025 to 2027, will involve building the Terminal, as well as dredging and opening up the outer harbour channel to make it easier for ferries to get through and improve their access to the port. Phase 2, up to 2030, will involve rebuilding the port equipment at berth no. 1 and the footbridge.

Source: Actu.fr

Antonia

St Malo closure

#4 Post by Antonia »

Thank you guys, I'll peruse the links you've given me and go back to my friend with more accurate info.