The right to vote after 15 years abroad

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Blaze

#11 Post by Blaze »

Ford Focus wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:26 am Oh dear, why should you have a vote in a country you don't live in?
Many countries allow their expats to continue to vote, including France, Turkey and the US. France, for example, may find that her expats actually bother to vote .... As Bayleaf says, many expats still have financial connections (pensions, investments etc) with the UK so might have an interest in voting, particularly if they don't have the right to vote in the country they are living in. Not everyone wants (or is able) to take citizenship of the country they are living in just to be able to vote there.
niemeyjt wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:41 am......the next issue is where you apply to vote and how you prove it after 15 years.
That could be interesting ...

niemeyjt

#12 Post by niemeyjt »

Blaze wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:49 amThat could be interesting .
Yes. It is amazing just how many people were once in Uxbridge and South Ruislip.

L Austin France

#13 Post by L Austin France »

Blaze wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:49 am
Ford Focus wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:26 am Oh dear, why should you have a vote in a country you don't live in?
Many countries allow their expats to continue to vote, including France, Turkey and the US. France, for example, may find that her expats actually bother to vote .... As Bayleaf says, many expats still have financial connections (pensions, investments etc) with the UK so might have an interest in voting, particularly if they don't have the right to vote in the country they are living in. Not everyone wants (or is able) to take citizenship of the country they are living in just to be able to vote there.
niemeyjt wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:41 am......the next issue is where you apply to vote and how you prove it after 15 years.
That could be interesting ...
I was on my old town's electoral register for 15 years after I left to live in France & still have emails from the returning officer confirming my voting rights, so don't anticipate any problems.

Ford Focus

#14 Post by Ford Focus »

Pathca wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:42 am
With respect FF your attitude on here is a bit strange sometimes,you can appear to be trolling
Trolling? Not at all. Had a house in France for 18 years but we decided to move back here 3 years ago. Just pre Covid! It appears that I do not fit the template that some folk on here think everyone should adhere to. Could I point you in this direction on this site?

This is a Francophile Forum. It’s for people who have an appreciation for France and things French. If you are a resident, lucky you! But the Forum isn’t just for residents, it brings together Francophiles from all over the world to ask questions or share their interests in any France related topic, from travel to wine, from buying property to running a small-holding.

Pathca

#15 Post by Pathca »

Thanks for that, I now realise who you are and will know to avoid your posts in future

ajm

#16 Post by ajm »

Pathca wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:42 am
With respect FF your attitude on here is a bit strange sometimes,you can appear to be trolling
Exactly! Just because you live in France now you may want/need to go back to UK

L Austin France

#17 Post by L Austin France »

Pathca wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:54 am Thanks for that, I now realise who you are and will know to avoid your posts in future
Come on then! Who is/was s/he? :)

Pathca

#18 Post by Pathca »

Not posting that on an open forum

L Austin France

#19 Post by L Austin France »

Pathca wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:19 pm Not posting that on an open forum
Didn't expect you to but it was quicker than a PM ;)

L Austin France

#20 Post by L Austin France »

Same reason you're allowed to continually post the same boring thing on here. :roll: