After 3 years!

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Wilbro

After 3 years!

#11 Post by Wilbro »

I used to think it was bad in the 60's when I worked in Watford and lived in Upper Sundon, a small Bedfordshire village. I used to leave the office late as no way was I getting into the peak hour rush, Similarly in early to beat the morning rush. Still very busy though. I remember seeing one old lady trying to join the A5 when the M1 was solid. Instead of filtering in she had pulled up to the white line and was waiting for a gap as one would do at a minor road junction. Obviously never used the motorway before! Probably a Morris Minor still there with a cobweb covered skeleton behind the steering wheel.

On a positive note re. the UK I found shop, hotel, cafe and other assistants unfailingly polite and helpful. They don't deserve that corrupt crew that governs them.

Mangetout

After 3 years!

#12 Post by Mangetout »

Wilbro wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:51 am On the train one saw fields but so often housing estates with their little postage stamp gardens and then the empty properties in the town centres.

To rub it in I came back with a stinking cold caught two days before my return. My worries were allayed when two covid tests proved negative.

The one benefit? A pint of good English Beer which is the one big win over the fizzy lager rubbish!
If you want a decent beer in France try La Goudale.

Wilbro

After 3 years!

#13 Post by Wilbro »

@Mangetout spot
I already buy it. It's a reasonable beer which i do quite like but not a patch on a good quality draft ale.

Sparkle

After 3 years!

#14 Post by Sparkle »

Le Bar Victor in Lassay if you like Guinness although I always preferred Mackeson.
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Spectrum

After 3 years!

#15 Post by Spectrum »

Sparkle wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:20 pm Le Bar Victor in Lassay if you like Guinness although I always preferred Mackeson.
In the good old days I used to drink bottled Mackeson and cider I could pour them in the glass together with one hand :clap: but you have to do it slowly otherwise you end up with a pint of froth :?

Doug

After 3 years!

#16 Post by Doug »

Way back in my yuff when working on the farm I used to have a bitter and cider shandy to quench my thirst after a hot day, the bar owner refused to mix them giving me two halves to mix myself.

Sparkle

After 3 years!

#17 Post by Sparkle »

@Spectrum I only ever put blackcurrant in my cider or in my lager :D I also liked Tartan bitter - can you still buy it? This was before I discovered babycham, pink lady and my favourite then and now Warninks advocaat with or without lemonade :lol:
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Hotrodder

After 3 years!

#18 Post by Hotrodder »

Doug wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:29 am Way back in my yuff when working on the farm I used to have a bitter and cider shandy to quench my thirst after a hot day, the bar owner refused to mix them giving me two halves to mix myself.
Way back in my yoof we didn't drink to quench a thirst after a hot day. It was to get out of our skulls. The liquid of choice was "Red Mountain" wine. $1.50 for a (US) gallon jug. Industrial grade hangover guaranteed. :crazy:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Spectrum

After 3 years!

#19 Post by Spectrum »

Sparkle wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:09 am @Spectrum I only ever put blackcurrant in my cider or in my lager :D I also liked Tartan bitter - can you still buy it? This was before I discovered babycham, pink lady and my favourite then and now Warninks advocaat with or without lemonade :lol:
My mums favourite drink Advocaat, with lemonade, the DW allways drank Port and lemon, Larger and black and lager and lime too sweet for me, I remember Carlsberg Export Hof on draught, but not many places sold it, its basically draft Special Brew, or Silly Bugger as we called it. When I started Black label was 15p a pint Carlsberg was 17p a pint, but we had to take off our school jackets :lol: :lol: , then we had Copperhead cider, Castlemaine XXXX, a lot of choices. After scouts If we could get an adult to get it for us we would drink Strongbow, straight from the bottle (Glass) while walking home, no idea what my mum and dad thought :shh:

Loup-garou

After 3 years!

#20 Post by Loup-garou »

There's a bit of inadvertent age disclosing going on here! I remember my mother having a Snaabaal (Advoccat & Lemonade) on occasions, otherwise it was gin and orange - but it was orange cordial. Maybe there wasn't the mixers back then.

I remember once being in the Straabrie pub outside St James Park, Newcastle, on a match day, when a fella asked the barman for a mild and bitter in a strong brummie accent. The barman looked at me and said "Wet's e want?" When I repeated it (I was well travelled, I'd been to Birmingham 8-) ) the barman said "Wet's Mild?" I said I thought it was a sort of watered down stout.

I suggested to the barman and fella alike that the best was probably a pint of Ex but with the last third changed to Beamish. The Brummie Lad tried it and said it wasn't half bad and asked what did we call it up here - I told him I didn't know and I doubted he'd be starting a trend. :shh: