UK Passport Expiry

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
niemeyjt

UK Passport Expiry

#1 Post by niemeyjt »

Does anyone know definitively whether one now requires six months validity on a UK Passport to enter France?

mysty

Re: UK Passport Expiry

#2 Post by mysty »

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements

Passport validity
Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip, and renew your passport if you do not have enough time left on it.

Make sure your passport is:

valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave France, or any other Schengen country
less than 10 years old
The 3 months you need when leaving a country must be within 10 years of the passport issue date.

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the minimum 3 months needed.

RobertArthur

Re: UK Passport Expirt

#3 Post by RobertArthur »

Niemeyjt, the French regs:

Vous devez remplir toutes les conditions suivantes lors du franchissement de la frontière :

Avoir un passeport (ou autre document de voyage) délivré depuis moins de 10 ans et dont la durée de validité est d'au moins 3 mois supérieure à la date prévue de votre départ.

UK residents can only stay up to 90 days, so together with this "validité d'au moins 3 mois" after date of departure this makes 6 months. Correct me if I'm wrong.

More than three months.

exile

#4 Post by exile »

I think you can reduce the 180 days if you have a return ticket.

So for example with 100 days left on the passport and a return 7 days later I think you meet the requirement.

niemeyjt

#5 Post by niemeyjt »

The "plan to leave" bit is somewhat unclear for those who are resident and not planning to leave.

Char
Site Admin

#6 Post by Char »

I was looking at all the regulations for travel to and fro the UK a couple of weeks ago as my husband wanted to get over and see his ageing mum, and I'm sure I read on one of the official websites, that the passport validity doesn't apply to those of us with EU residency cards. But I can't for the life of me remember where it was that I read it now.

If I get time later I'll go through my browser history and see if I can find it.

elsie

#7 Post by elsie »

Possibly, from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-f ... and-travel

If you were living in France before 1 January 2021
When you travel, especially within the Schengen area, carry your residence document or frontier worker permit issued under the Withdrawal Agreement, in addition to your valid passport.

You must proactively show your residence document, or other evidence of residence status, if you are asked to show your passport at border control. If you have applied for, but not yet received, your WARP, carry your certificate of application, which you should have received by email.

If you cannot prove that you are resident in France, you may be asked additional questions at the border to enter the Schengen area, and your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. This will not affect your rights in France.

If you have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement you do not need any extra months on your passport to enter or exit EU countries.

Char
Site Admin

#8 Post by Char »

Thanks [mention]elsie[/mention] I knew I'd read it somewhere. 8-)

elsie

#9 Post by elsie »

There is a UK government validity for travel in European countries passport checker https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-travel-europe (for those without Withdrawal Agreement rights).

niemeyjt

#10 Post by niemeyjt »

The above seems a cut and paste of the same information on the Swiss site - so now I have to hope that the French Immigration accepts a Swiss permit (and presumably Germans, Belgians etc entering at Calais are similarly affected) as well as French Residency cards.