Why oh why

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
exile

Why oh why

#21 Post by exile »

Any source for that?

Bayleaf

Why oh why

#22 Post by Bayleaf »

I'm getting used to these flippin' flipping attached lids now - cheaper brands don't seem to do it yet.

On the subject of rubbish in general, hold on to your hats folks! There's talk of the govt saying that refuse collectors are going to have to supply an extra bin for food waste next year. Ummmm - that's going to be truly delightful, isn't it?! :crazy: The other bins already smell pretty bad, and sometimes there's the added bonus of wasps coming out to greet you.

Digressing - lids, stick to lids! :)

Blaze

Why oh why

#23 Post by Blaze »

Bayleaf wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:55 am There's talk of the govt saying that refuse collectors are going to have to supply an extra bin for food waste next year.
That may not be ideal in towns in summer for the reasons you say, Bayleaf !! Some villages and small towns are offering compost bins for those that have the space for them. Most of our waste is peelings, egg shells, etc. which is used for compost. We don't really have cooked food waste other than bones and cheese rind (which I believe shouldn't be composted).

Back to lids .... !

Hotrodder

Why oh why

#24 Post by Hotrodder »

If this trend of charging by volume gathers pace I think we will see fly tipping as a result. I would never do that myself but I might decide to "go native" and bury stuff in the garden. I was digging a hole for a new tree at my previous place and unearthed a 2cv engine. :o
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Polarengineer

Why oh why

#25 Post by Polarengineer »

I agree, it makes a lot of sense to create your own landfill. You will at least know what is in it. I have a bio dump at the bottom of the field and it rots down to create a fantastic black soil.

beejay

Why oh why

#26 Post by beejay »

Blaze wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:52 am
Bayleaf wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:55 am There's talk of the govt saying that refuse collectors are going to have to supply an extra bin for food waste next year.
That may not be ideal in towns in summer for the reasons you say, Bayleaf !! Some villages and small towns are offering compost bins for those that have the space for them. Most of our waste is peelings, egg shells, etc. which is used for compost. We don't really have cooked food waste other than bones and cheese rind (which I believe shouldn't be composted).

Back to lids .... !
Here in the UK I have had a foodwaste collection for quite a few years. The council supplies an indoor bin and free recyclable bags for it and a larger outdoor bin that gets collected each week.

I assumed that this foodwaste is composted but, in fact, it is converted to fuel which provides electricity for the council's buildings.

niemeyjt

Why oh why

#27 Post by niemeyjt »

Yes. DIY landfill and bonfires. The law of unintended consequences and stupid politicians.

Of course there will be fly tipping- there always is. I never understand why politicians think this time it will be different.

niemeyjt

Why oh why

#28 Post by niemeyjt »

beejay wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:11 pm Here in the UK I have had a foodwaste collection for quite a few years. The council supplies an indoor bin and free recyclable bags for it and a larger outdoor bin that gets collected each week.

I assumed that this foodwaste is composted but, in fact, it is converted to fuel which provides electricity for the council's buildings.
Food waste goes into anaerobic digesters - not compost heaps.

p4psb

Why oh why

#29 Post by p4psb »

exile wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:27 pm Any source for that?
https://inside-packaging.nridigital.com ... d_closures

There are loads of references/articles about it, just G**gle it.

Blaze

Why oh why

#30 Post by Blaze »

We've just had a notice about recycling thrust into our letterbox.
Pretty well all plastic packaging for food and hygiene products goes in the yellow bin with a "squash but don't wash" instruction, along with cardboard, paper and magazines, metal cans and ..... aerosols (but not paint or toxic ones).
Couldn't be simpler. As I've already said, we have very little other rubbish and take glass and other waste to the dechetterie.