Regaining voting rights in the UK

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
niemeyjt

#11 Post by niemeyjt »

I think the systems in most countries give you a choice of the same old faces who say what voters want to hear to get a vote and then do their own thing for four or five years - even worse when in PR countries where the party you vote for may do a deal with a party you fundamentally disagree with

The Swiss democratic model offers more control of politicians at all levels.

MAD87

#12 Post by MAD87 »

Pathca wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:42 am Try living in the UK ! I don’t actually know who I would vote for
Blaze wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:21 am.
Whilst the idea of having the right to vote somewhere is appealing, neither of us knows who we'd vote for in the UK.
We always lived in safe Tory seats. I always voted Liberal and was much derided, until the LDs started to win safe Tory seats. The LDs see'm to have weakened a bit since 2010, but seem still to be a voice of reason.
I'm glad I no longer have that dilemma as I have full voting rights where I live.

Hotrodder

#13 Post by Hotrodder »

I have always distrusted the so-called democratic voting thing. When things have appeared to be going t*ts up I have simply voted with my feet. Did that first in 1970 from USA and again in 2001 in UK. Only voted at a polling station once, and that was to vote against Thatcher when everyone else loved her.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Polly

#14 Post by Polly »

Hotrodder wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:50 pm I have always distrusted the so-called democratic voting thing. When things have appeared to be going t*ts up I have simply voted with my feet. Did that first in 1970 from USA and again in 2001 in UK. Only voted at a polling station once, and that was to vote against Thatcher when everyone else loved her.

Everyone???

niemeyjt

#15 Post by niemeyjt »

Hotrodder wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:50 pmI have always distrusted the so-called democratic voting thing. When things have appeared to be going t*ts up I have simply voted with my feet. Did that first in 1970 from USA and again in 2001 in UK. Only voted at a polling station once, and that was to vote against Thatcher when everyone else loved her.
The problem is, most so-called democratic systems aren't really.

Do UK MPs represent their constituents' views - or those the whips tell them to?

Do UK governments draft legislation according to voters' views or paymaster's views - on the day that it is reported the UK Hunting Act was passed following by a £1M "donation" from an anti-bloodsports lobby group?

Whilst some regard the "R" word as heresy, it has advantages.

Ask yourselves - had the Swiss model of referenda been in place in the UK (and France) how might history have changed?

Headers

#16 Post by Headers »

I’ve just had this response from my Lib Dem candidate re the secondary statutes required for the 15 year rule to be removed
“ Thank you for your email.

Sorry for the delay to this reply. I have asked about the legislation
(which is supported by the Lib Dems) but it seems that it remains
unclear whether it will get through parliament in time for the election.

I'm sorry I can't give you a definitive answer and I hope you'll have a
chance to vote next time. If I hear anything else, I'll let you know.”

Headers

#17 Post by Headers »

Today I see that the secondary legislation is enacted and will become live in mid January 2024. So the Lib Dem’s are not exactly on the case. but never mind progress for us.