Climate Change, Carbon Emissions

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Mike

Re: Climate Change, Carbon Emissions

#31 Post by Mike »

Turbine.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hotrodder

#32 Post by Hotrodder »

Electricity costs going up and up and up alongside increasing demands on already struggling systems. Now we are being bullied into buying electric cars to increase demand even more.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

#33 Post by niemeyjt »

Hotrodder wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:16 pm Electricity costs going up and up and up alongside increasing demands on already struggling systems. Now we are being bullied into buying electric cars to increase demand even more.
Yes - but modern charging systems may be two-way in future - your EV becomes a power store that can be drawn upon by the grid at times of high demand.

And it costs the grid nothing for this store!

Of course, an EV owner may be a bit hacked off if their battery is flat in the morning.

Spardo

#34 Post by Spardo »

niemeyjt wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:29 pm
Hotrodder wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:16 pm Electricity costs going up and up and up alongside increasing demands on already struggling systems. Now we are being bullied into buying electric cars to increase demand even more.
Yes - but modern charging systems may be two-way in future - your EV becomes a power store that can be drawn upon by the grid at times of high demand.

And it costs the grid nothing for this store!

Of course, an EV owner may be a bit hacked off if their battery is flat in the morning.
Forego the trip to work you mean, so your neighbour can have another cup of tea? :lol:

Bayleaf

#35 Post by Bayleaf »

Spardo wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:04 pm

To my mind solar for private homes is probably the least worst as long as you don't live under a permanent cloud, but the set-up initial costs are, or at least were when I last looked into it, prohibitive except for the young, and those are the ones least likely to afford it. A good case for government investment ?
I thought there was already a government scheme to help encourage installation of solar panels? We're hoping to go down this road soon .....

Hotrodder

#36 Post by Hotrodder »

I'm happy to have the government pay for a roof full of solar panels, particularly if they pay for the renovation to make it watertight first. :lol: :lol:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Spardo

#37 Post by Spardo »

Bayleaf wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:54 pm
Spardo wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:04 pm

To my mind solar for private homes is probably the least worst as long as you don't live under a permanent cloud, but the set-up initial costs are, or at least were when I last looked into it, prohibitive except for the young, and those are the ones least likely to afford it. A good case for government investment ?
I thought there was already a government scheme to help encourage installation of solar panels? We're hoping to go down this road soon .....
Too late for us, if there is, when I investigated a long time ago the pay back period I reckoned would long out live me. Maybe things have changed, I would love to know if they have I have 2 south and west facing rooves and a third which catches the morning sun.

exile

#38 Post by exile »

Hotrodder wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:36 pm I'm happy to have the government pay for a roof full of solar panels, particularly if they pay for the renovation to make it watertight first. :lol: :lol:
And that - together with providing an original roof - may be the only time it makes sense.