Climate Change, Carbon Emissions

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
exile

Re: Climate Change, Carbon Emissions

#21 Post by exile »

Good luck building a tower block in Chaux*. It has its place but not in structural elements - which is where most of nasty cement ends up.

* Not that I would like to live in a tower block anyway. Perhaps I should have said bridge.

Countryman

#22 Post by Countryman »

Undergoing trials currently, Concretene.
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/n ... -industry/

Hotrodder

#23 Post by Hotrodder »

They'd better get their finger out then. The Chinese can build a city in less than a month and are using a lot of concrete. :roll:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Biloute

#24 Post by Biloute »

Hotrodder wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:13 pm One thing is quite clear to me. A lot of people are making a lot of money out of this "crisis" selling us alternatives that are supposed to be "greener".
Indeed ! I'm currently reading a book written by an expert at energy: "Eoliennes, la face noire de la transition écologique" (Fabien Bouglé).
The cost of energy produced by nuclear, dams, etc... in france is 35 to 45 € / Mw-h. EDF buys 85 € / MW-h the electricity produced by windmills in land (mostly foreign companies) and 230 € / MW-h for the windmills at sea !!! The difference is paid by special taxes on our electricity bills or by the government. And we are speaking of billions euros every year...
Windmills will be installed at sea between Noirmoutier and Ile d'Yeu by a Chinese/Japanese company... :evil:
Demain est le premier des jours qu'il nous reste à vivre: profitons-en ! :D

Blaze

#25 Post by Blaze »

[mention]Biloute[/mention]
Windmills will be installed at sea between Noirmoutier and Ile d'Yeu by a Chinese/Japanese company... :evil:
There's big discussion at the moment about éoliennes in the Baie de St Brieuc, how it could affect fishing, life on the sea bed, quite apart from the cost.
No-one wants these things on their doorstep even if the government tries to make them appear to be viable :(
Electricity is very expensive for the user - well, the taxes make it so. Unfortunately many people have no choice :(

Biloute

#26 Post by Biloute »

[mention]Blaze[/mention]
Blaze wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:51 am @Biloute
There's big discussion at the moment about éoliennes in the Baie de St Brieuc, how it could affect fishing, life on the sea bed, quite apart from the cost.
No-one wants these things on their doorstep even if the government tries to make them appear to be viable :(
Electricity is very expensive for the user - well, the taxes make it so. Unfortunately many people have no choice :(
It's a shame that the book I mentioned above is in French (not a problem for me :D ) because its an eye opener about windmills and very well documented ! It shows all the dark side about public opinion, money, efficiency, side effects for the people and animals, etc... It shows that windmills are only a way for companies to make money, with a lot of bad consequences and very poor, if not null, efficiency for the climate...

Blaze

#27 Post by Blaze »

[mention]Biloute[/mention] I have no problem reading in French but I think it would make depressing reading !
In our area we have hydro-power from the river Rance. Without looking it up, I have no idea how much power it produces or the financial cost. But it does affect the flow of the river and upstream of the barrage becomes very silted up. Fish and water life do seem to manage to get through. There was a seal who lived in the area, L9 Joséphine, who seemed to have no problems navigating her way around. Sadly she died earlier this year aged 21(old age) - she was very well-known locally.
We have always intended to go on one of the guided tours of the barrage which I think would be interesting.

Spardo

#28 Post by Spardo »

There is a cost to everything humans do in order to remain on the planet. Hydro, nuclear, solar, wind, tide, coal, gas, everything costs. It is just a matter of choosing the least worst harm available. And the most important word there is 'available'.

To my mind solar for private homes is probably the least worst as long as you don't live under a permanent cloud, but the set-up initial costs are, or at least were when I last looked into it, prohibitive except for the young, and those are the ones least likely to afford it. A good case for government investment ?

Pachapapa

#29 Post by Pachapapa »

Isoentropy is elusive.
Hidden by Greta's verbal fog.
And Pseudo Science.

Biloute

#30 Post by Biloute »

[mention]Spardo[/mention]
Spardo wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:04 pm There is a cost to everything humans do in order to remain on the planet. Hydro, nuclear, solar, wind, tide, coal, gas, everything costs. It is just a matter of choosing the least worst harm available. And the most important word there is 'available'.

To my mind solar for private homes is probably the least worst as long as you don't live under a permanent cloud, but the set-up initial costs are, or at least were when I last looked into it, prohibitive except for the young, and those are the ones least likely to afford it. A good case for government investment ?
I quite agree with you on the overall. When you say "available", I would add:
- independance: for nuclear and dams, France is independant, which is not at all the case for solar panels and windmills which are imported. Don't forget the recent crisis of Covid: for masks, paracetamol and respirators, we were handcuffed by the Chinese!
- extensions: we can no more build dams (no room) - we can build more nuclear plants, mainly new generation which can be fueled by the waste of the old ones
- immediate availability: windmills rely on wind and SP rely on sun. No such thing for nuclear.