Ukraine

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Hotrodder

Ukraine

#1 Post by Hotrodder »

There is a distinct lack on comment on what has been in the news recently. Am I the only one to be a little concerned about these events? We all know the US is always looking for the next war it can get involved in and how they love to drag the UK and others into it. On the radio this morning it sounds like the UK isn't even waiting for the US to pull the strings but pledging to put troops on the ground (?) and logistics support if Russia crosses the border into Ukraine. The armaments manufacturers must be rubbing their hands and dribbling over the prospect of WWIII.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

Ukraine

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

This is nothing new - the US has been meddling in Ukraine for ages, fomenting protests and regime change (remember Victoria "Fcuk the EU" Nuland?) - and the EU is well advised to remain on the sidelines. Sad the UK won't do the same.

As you say - the MIC wins and innocent Russians and Ukrainians will lose.

German Admiral Kay-Achim Schoenbach got it right - sadly he paid with his job.

rabbit

Ukraine

#3 Post by rabbit »

Interesting article in the Times by Navalany smuggled from his prison cell.He says Putin is worried if Ukraine and other ex USSR countries develop a better standard of living and then other territories in Russia smell the coffee, get itchy feet and cause the break up of Russia. He also says that Putin tries it on and the west is too easy on him. Germany is keeping quiet( apart from the odd admiral)because they can’t afford to have their gas turned-off

Hotrodder

Ukraine

#4 Post by Hotrodder »

niemeyjt I agree its nothing new but it still p's me off when the US starts sabre rattling against Russia from behind thousands of miles of ocean with a handy buffer zone called Europe. Then there's the UK, the fifth strongest economy (blah blah blah) so messed up they have to have food banks, is traditionally so far up the president's backside they have to ask him to remove his trousers to see if it is day or night.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

DaveW

Ukraine

#5 Post by DaveW »

It's full on propaganda at the moment. I'm no fan of Putin, but the US and UK are playing a very dangerous game. I cannot see any way Russia will invade anywhere - why would they? In a way I have some sympathy - the hypocrisy of NATO stationing forces and nuclear missiles on the borders of Russia yet the controlling countries threatening doomsday sanctions when the bear gets pissed off.

I would love to see some real dialogue and less threats. If push came to shove, I fear we in Europe would come out in bad shape.

exile

Ukraine

#6 Post by exile »

Why would they?

Well let's just say their is a bit of form.
Donetsk
Luhansk
Crimea.

I don't think the west is lily white either but I see no evidence of forcible occupation - even with the consent of a (part of the) local population.

tagh

Ukraine

#7 Post by tagh »

Putin trying to rebuild Russian Empire when the West is weak after running down its defences and being infiltrated by Russian influencers over quite a period. I feel so very sorry for Ukraine which has no wish to be taken over by the thug across the border. And the Germans and French are playing catch with a live grenade; Germans scared stiff and the French yellow!

niemeyjt

Ukraine

#8 Post by niemeyjt »

tagh wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:41 am And the Germans and French are playing catch with a live grenade; Germans scared stiff and the French yellow!
Oh please. Germany is mindful both of avoiding any repeat of its recent military history and of where its gas comes from. And a quick visit around the war memorials and cemeteries up your way should help dispel the American-inspired notions of French cowardice.

Richard

Ukraine

#9 Post by Richard »

I think Putin is just flexing his muscles because he doesn't want Ukraine to join NATO.
I don't see what he has to gain from an invasion and a lot to lose.
The Russian people have no interest in an invasion.
The Ukrainian army will not be a pushover this time and when the body bags start returning home to Russia public opinion will turn against Putin.
No, I think he is just trying to make a forceful point.

tagh

Ukraine

#10 Post by tagh »

To prove that point the Germans need to stop the decommissioning of their nuclear plants immediately and allow arms to cross their territory.

Yes, I was exaggerating but get angered by the inability of the Europeans to pull together.